Clear all

The millionth overnight sensation beginner thread

Page 1 / 2

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hey there! 

This is my first crossover ever, and I was following the Parts Express directions before I found the YouTube videos with the more organized layout. 

PXL 20210730 170029337
PXL 20210730 170034845
PXL 20210730 170040532

I traced all the connections based on the layout, the YouTube video, and the electrical diagram and it's all ok from what I can see. The issue is that the tweeter is very quiet. From what I can tell it's playing the high range only but at a very low decibel. I'm stumped 🙁

The speaker leads with black tape are woofers btw. 

Thanks in advance for being kind!

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'm not at a place where I can look at it right now. But I will go ahead and check it out when I get home.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid 

I tried another above the board only version from the Parts Express website and it also yielded a very quiet tweeter. I tried both speakers from the kit and they're the same level. Is it really supposed to be behind two resistors? I'm so confused 

PXL 20210731 050450688
PXL 20210731 050459597

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @opulentone

@123toid 

I tried another above the board only version from the Parts Express website and it also yielded a very quiet tweeter. I tried both speakers from the kit and they're the same level. Is it really supposed to be behind two resistors? I'm so confused 

PXL 20210731 050450688
PXL 20210731 050459597

This one does not appear correct.  I can't read your capacitor value, but the capacitor that should be connected to the binding post should be the 1.5uf. From your picture it appears you have the 6.8uf connected. In fact it appears there is a lot wrong with this crossover.  Ltt me see if I can make this easier.  Here is a diagram from Paul Carmody's site. 

OS crossover

Step 1 The red from the input should go directly to one side of the 1.5uf capacitor as well as one side of the 1.1 inductor and .22uf capacitor. That is step 1.

OS crossover positive

Step 2 wire the other end of the 0.22uf capacitor to the other end of the 1.1 inductor.

Step 3 Connect one end 6.8uf capacitor to the end you just soldered. 

Step 4 Run a wire from that same solder point that is now connecting one end of the 6.8uf, 0.22uf and 1.1 inductor to the positive terminal of the HiVi woofer.

Step 5 return to the other end of the 1.5uf capacitor and connect one end of the 2.2uf cap and 0.35uf inductor to it.

Step 6 connect one end of the 6ohm resistor to the other end of the 2.2 cap

Step 7 connect the other end of the 6 ohm resistor to one end of the 10ohm resistor.

Step 8 Connect the solder joint between the 6ohm resistor and 10 ohm resistor to the negative terminal of the tweeter

Step 9 You should not have anything connected to your negative input, one side of your 0.35 inductor, one side of your 6.8uf capacitor and one side of your 10 ohm resistor.  You also will not have anything connected to your negative terminal on your woofer and positive terminal on your tweeter.  Connect all these together at one common spot.  Be careful not to cross any inductive wires across any others. 

OS crossover ground

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

Now that I look back at your picture, you just have your positive input in the wrong spot. Give me a second to edit the picture for you

2392 PXL20210731050459597

You have your woofer and input mixed up.

ReplyQuote
OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid 

I had the woofer and the positive input mixed up. Have a look!

PXL 20210731 054005649
PXL 20210731 054009598.MP

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

You beat me to it! I even made a fancy picture.  Anyway, that That looks correct.

2391 PXL20210731050450688

ReplyQuote
OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid 

Even with all the parts in place the tweeter is barely audible while the woofer is several times louder. That can't be normal for the speaker, right? 

Thanks for all your help on this. It's incredibly frustrating but when it all works it will be so rewarding.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

It's really hard to say with that video. But the tweeter is relatively low to the woofer. That's normal for this speaker.  You really would need to listen to some music with vocals. Unhook the tweeter as you're listening to it. You'd be surprised at how much that actually adds.  You also really need to get the box closed up because that's giving a false sense of sound. 

ReplyQuote
OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

Pretty obviously missing the tweeter

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Ps if you want to test the crossover outside the box. Just run some connectors from your woofer and Tweeter out through the port. Leave the crossover outside of the box for now. Then you can do some tests with the box completely sealed.

ReplyQuote
OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid ok! Maybe I'll work on sealing everything up and see if they work well as a pair. Still seems very rolled off on the high end. 

I'll try doing what you said and listening with and without the tweeter connected! 

ReplyQuote

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid 

One last video showing the difference in the tweeter in the 'right spot' vs bypassing everything and going to source. Just for a laugh. 

ReplyQuote
OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

The only thing I can think of is that I needed to scrape the inductor and I didn't do that. I didn't think I had the kind I needed to scrape but I guess I'll try it and see if it works. 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

As long as you are soldering to silver you are okay.  If you are soldering to the copper color, than you need to scrape it off. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: