(@opulentone)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid I was soldering to silver. I was really hoping that was the issue 😅

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

If that's the case then no it's not. At least you know you have the crossover hooked up properly

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid omg I feel like an idiot.  

I got a free reciever from a friend because it needed a new LED screen fuse. I fixed that, but I hadn't really used it. Well it turned out he had the treble all the way down on it and my source has just been high frequency free this entire time. Days worth of frustration. 😂😅😓😢

Thank you again for all your help, Toid. You're the man! 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

Haha! I'm glad you figured it out. I'm guessing they sound a lot different note? 😂😁

ReplyQuote

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid they sound great! Definitely a fun little project when I'm not shooting myself in the foot 🦶😂

As far as your speakers go, did you continue buying kits or do you have a stockpile of different supplies that you experiment with?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

I have stockpiles, lol. I still do kits, but it's rare. Almost exclusively only design my own speakers now. A lot of people have been making them on here as well. Such as the Soundstage 15, the Dinas and the THX inspired.

ReplyQuote

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Topic starter  

@123toid My Dinas parts are coming this week! 

What's your favorite way to feed them a source? I was thinking raspberry pi with a DAC hat. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
btrbandit
(@btrbandit)
Active Member Registered

My first speaker kit was the Tri Trix and I had never soldered before.  I connected everything together and had it in the cabinet (minus the side) and it sounded like garbage.  Guess what, mass-loaded transit line speakers DO sound like garbage if there is no side.  I put the side on it and it sounded great.  I had the speaker on its side and turned it on end and the bass went away.  Couldn't figure out what the problem was.  The problem was horrible soldering.  Had to take the drivers out and resolder the crossover inside the cabinet.  To this point, I've made some mistake, usually a silly one, on every set of speakers I've made.  Close to a dozen at this point.  Oh, I made my own little desktop sub and thought "I'll point the port tube right at the chip amp to keep it cool!  I'm so smart" and when I went to install the subwoofer it hit the port tube and couldn't be screwed in place.  Had to cut the front baffle off and make a new one then repaint the whole thing.  Don't be too rough on yourself.  We all stub our toes now and then.  Enjoy your new addiction!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@btrbandit 

I agree. I even make mistakes every now and then.  It is simple to do, especially when you are doing ten things at once 😀 🤣  I am curious, you've now built quite a few speakers.  Which ones are your favorites that you have built?

ReplyQuote
btrbandit
(@btrbandit)
Active Member Registered

That could be a complicated answer but to make it easy, those would be the Reveals paired with a Voxel.  The Tri-Trix replaced some really crappy speakers so about anything would be stellar compared to what those replaced.  The Mark Audio set that I made that you helped me tame also are favorites of mine as long as a subwoofer is involved.  The Reveals are so small but so clear and easy to listen to.  My absolute favorite so far.  

Let me add that I'm still planning on building the Eso-7 set, the co-op set that you did with Kirby Meets Audio, and a pair of Swans M1s.

Reveals

The Reveals.

Mark Audio

The Mark Audio set.

Tri Trix

And the Tri-Trix.

ReplyQuote

Page 2 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: