Starting with my ce...

Starting with my center channel  

Page 1 / 5
  RSS

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
Trusted Member Registered
06/08/2019 6:09 pm  

So, I built my own center channel a while back and it works ok but in a lot of ways, I made some uneducated choices. So, I’m going to start working on center channel V2.0. I plan on using 2 Dayton 7” Esoteric drivers for the woofers. A single Faital 3” Neo mid driver and a HiVi RT2C-A Planar tweeter for the highs. I’ll let you all know how it’s coming along. 

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/08/2019 10:18 pm  

Sweet.  Let me know if you need any help with the Eso 7's.  I will have a pair on hand.  They are very nice drivers.  I like them alot.  I should have my measurements on them out this week.

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
06/08/2019 11:07 pm  

@123toid

Yeah, your video talking about receiving the Esoterics and the Corundum made me look at those as options.  

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
07/08/2019 1:46 am  

@lindelium18

They really are gorgeous and sound really good.  Spoiler alert.  The Eso 7 (what I named the build with the 7's) are my second favorite bookshelf speakers I have ever designed.  They go down so low and are so clean.  I put these in my living room and played them on pure direct and was blown away by the sound including the bass. My living room is rather small and does accent bass well, but still. Very nice. 

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
07/08/2019 9:40 am  

@123toid

Well, my theater room is roughly 14 x 16 so bass should be pretty solid. I’m looking forward to giving them a run.  I’ve also never used a planer tweeter before either so this will just be all kinds of fun. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
07/08/2019 1:37 pm  

DBD070E7 2BFB 4E10 A34A 0CE24D446356

Well, apparently a short (ish) drive out to parts express was in the cards for today.  I picked up all the drivers for now. I’ll do the crossovers once I have the components in an enclosure. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
08/08/2019 1:45 am  

Well, I started designing the center channel enclosure in CAD because after looking at the size of the planer tweeter (outside diameter is 7”!!!!) plus the woofers PLUS the flared ports...I wasn’t confident it was all going to fit. Well, after a little hair pulling and a fair amount of cursing, I’ve got something I can work with. The image might look a little strange because I modeled the speakers and the ports as just straight cylinders for a “worst case” scenario. All in all, I think it is going to turn out nice!  Overall outside dimensions are going to be 24.5”w x 13.5”h x 12.5”d

ReplyQuote
bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Eminent Member Registered
08/08/2019 1:54 pm  

That tweeter makes your midrange look small. I would be very curious about the polars on that planar. A vertical tweeter mid with woofers as close to center as possible is what you need for a side-ways center. Keep us updated on your progress.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
08/08/2019 2:24 pm  

@lindelium18

Now that is a center!  About as big of a center as I have seen.  I am interested to see how this goes.  This might sound really nice.  It might even be worth doing a 2.5 way to help with what @bjaurelio is talking about.  Of course, you will know when you design it.  I am very excited to see this.

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
08/08/2019 2:33 pm  

@123toid

I’ll be honest, I don’t know what a 2.5 way is. I’m currently planning on doing a 3-way crossover. 

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
08/08/2019 2:44 pm  

@lindelium18

Wish you luck on your build. The first thing I thought when I saw your picture was "Man, I hope he doesn't leave that woofer in that position for long, not good for the surround. Most drivers now days come with a plastic cover that prevents the surround from being deformed, did the Esoterics not have those?

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
08/08/2019 3:20 pm  

@kevin-kendrick

Yeah, they didn’t stay like that for long. Actually, I started woofer break-in right after the picture was taken.  However, the Esoterics did not come with the plastic cover I’ve seen on other drivers. Instead, they are inside a plastic bag and they a foam ring around the outside and then a piece of cardboard on top of that. 

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
08/08/2019 4:41 pm  

@lindelium18

Cool, just looking out for you man. Wouldn't want to see one of those beauties get messed up.

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
10/08/2019 4:42 pm  

Lumber was picked up the other day and cut to size but I had to work late last night. Hope to have some baffles cut tonight!  Also, anyone have an opinion on whether to split the airspace between the two woofers or leave it as one bigger space?  The mid is already going to have a sealed enclosure around it and the box is going to have 2 - 2” ports so that won’t be an issue. The only difficulty will be cutting the middle divider around the mid enclosure...  If the general consensus is that it doesn’t make a noticeable difference, I’ll leave it alone. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
10/08/2019 9:55 pm  

I would keep the airspace as one with the two woofers.  These are basically acting as one driver, so there is no need to split it and could even be detrimental if done incorrectly.  I would add some bracing though.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: