Could a speaker bui...

Notifications
Clear all

Could a speaker builder be an amp builder?  

howard
(@howard)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have been building my own speakers for quite a while and I am getting more and more interested in building my own amplifier.  I have just recently started to follow some of the You Tube community and I think I can do it.  It will take be a while to work up to it but I will get it done.  I am encouraged by what I see at this site.  

123Toid liked
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

If you can layout and build a crossover, you are on your way to  building more complex stuff. There are plenty of schematics out there. Best thing to do is work your way up the ladder, making the building blocks that will ultimately result in your final goal. Now, if you want to buy some boards and hook them together, that's even better, as all the engineering has been done for you. 

You'll find that all these different aspects to the audio hobby are stepping stones to all the others. So jump on in, the water is intriguing.

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @howard

I have been building my own speakers for quite a while and I am getting more and more interested in building my own amplifier.  I have just recently started to follow some of the You Tube community and I think I can do it.  It will take be a while to work up to it but I will get it done.  I am encouraged by what I see at this site.  

Absolutely you can.  There are a lot of people who make that jump.  I would typically start with some type of kit first.  Obviously the easiest way would be to start with an Ice Amplifier.  However, that is not really the intricate details, like I understand you want to get into.  DIY Audio Store is one of the ones a lot of people use.  Jut make sure you have good light, magnifier and soldering iron. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
CAP
 CAP
(@cap)
Eminent Member Registered

I'm gonna be the negative nancy and say that: yes, you can. I can't limit your abilities. BUUUUUUUT, you're talking about a very different beast from speakers. Audio signal path through a speaker uses components as filters to modify the signal for the best mechanical outcome. That's a big duh, but for amplifiers when we're talking about building one from the ground up, meaning design, testing, and revision, we're talking about components used in a different context that requires adequate knowledge of DC and AC circuit analysis as well as the components therein. DC is easy enough but AC requires much higher mathematical skill. Like Toid said, you can piece together the larger aspects of an amp to DIY something or find amp schematics online but trying component-up is a big step up on my opinion.

Again, I don't wanna piss in your Cheerios either so if you're confident you can tackle it by all means do it. I wanna design amps too but I'm having a hard time just getting my simulated BJT to pump out a good gain.

ReplyQuote

escoffee
(@escoffee)
Active Member Registered

I think the difference is do you want to be a builder or a designer right? I've built speakers that I've designed and they sounded awful, I worked on them for a year and never got the results I was chasing.  Recently I built a pair of Bagby continuums and they put my design to shame right out of the gate.

I've also built some of the Pass DIY kits specifically this one, with great results. I would never try to design an amp, but I'll for sure build one again. My background is in web development, not electrical engineering, and I'm sure it would take years for me to understand the inner workings of something like this.

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/headphone-amplifiers/products/acp-amp-camp-pre-amp

CAP liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

Ah, the venerable Nelson Pass. Helluva smart guy and quite an infectious attitude. Watching him go through his work area / parts storage reminds me of a little kid in a candy shop, only instead of sugar he gets stoked on electrons!

In that kit I see several subsections, topping off with a MosFET push-pull output. 

If you are really interested in learning, start with some books on basic theory and find some YouTube guys who are into sharing their knowledge. Believe it or not, there's a fair number out there. The key is to get in on the ground floor. Once you've grasped that, you can move on up. 

I'm the end, only you can decide if you have the drive and desire to forge ahead. Just remember, you'll be doing it for the knowledge and satisfaction, not for any cost saving. Well, that part remains to be seen. 😁

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote

Share:
%d bloggers like this: