Customizing custom ...

Notifications
Clear all

Customizing custom builds

Skaggz02
(@skaggz02)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

New member after watching the very impressive klipsch thx build video on YouTube. I wonder if a pair of tower speakers could be built with one being 10 or so inches shorter so it could sit on the fireplace hearth and the other on the floor without sacrificing acoustic performance? Thanks

Chedwin
(@chedwin)
Eminent Member Registered

What I would

do instead is build both towers to be the same smaller size based on the height of the fireplace hearth, then I'd make a riser platform for the speaker sitting in the floor. Id make the riser platform to be 10 inches tall and the same foot print as the tower for visual continuity.

Untitled 3

You could build the riser directly into the overall tower size but you would need to make sure that internally its completely isolated from the driver chambers.

You'd probably want to heavily stuff the riser section with acoustic material to take up as much of the air volume as you can to minimise any resonances

Josh Evans
- Professional Live Sound Engineer
- High End Commercial AV Install Technician

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@skaggz02

I would do exactly what @Chedwin said. That's definitely your best bet.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
Skaggz02
(@skaggz02)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid 

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Any build suggestions that meet my situation?

I really am impressed with what I'm finding here. Thank you again. S

ReplyQuote

Skaggz02
(@skaggz02)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@chedwin 

Thanks Josh, for your suggestion. Do I have to find a build for 25" tall speakers or can I take, say the Uglies, and just make them 10" shorter?

Mike

ReplyQuote
Skaggz02
(@skaggz02)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Since I'm already getting such good advice, I'll try for a little more, let me just say what my situation is; Denon 3200 with RP 600 fronts, RP-504c, SPL 120, with older s3 surrounds (2 as atmos) in a 25 by 20 room.

Movies are Awesome but when listening to Stereo music, the 600's just aren't getting it all the way there. I would love an affordable solution for better Mains and am very encouraged by your videos on home builds. Due to the placement of the fireplace hearth at the LF speaker location, they would have to be about 30 to 34" tall, 18" deep (with a 12" riser under the RF). Thanks in advance. Mike

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@skaggz02 

I am working on a design that should fit those requirements.  Unless I am misunderstanding the height.  They will use the 5" Epique drivers and a CSS tweeter.  They won't be a cheap build, but they should sound really good.  I am probably a few months from completing it though. Honestly, it would help[ if you gave us an idea of everything you want them to do.  What do you feel you are lacking with the 600's?  What do you like about them?  Will they be full range or do you typically set your speakers to small in your AV receiver?  

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
Skaggz02
(@skaggz02)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for your response. The 600Ms are good speakers but when listening to stereo music I don't care for what seems like a lack of fullness in sound. Even with the Sub and the 600s crossed over at 60 or 80, the sound just isn't robust, and the speakers can't really handle anything over volume 70 using a 105W Denon in Direct Mode. The RP-600M is a 6" with horn tweeter, 45 to 20k with 150W rms and 91 sensitivity.

I wanted to use the RP-8000's for Main Towers but the Fireplace hearth will not allow for such a large speaker. After finding you on YouTube I got to thinking that if I could get Large Drivers in a larger Bookshelf sized speaker this might be the answer to my need for better sound and if I could build them myself, what a joy!

I'm hoping to find a solution that can loosen the cabinet screws in my cupboards while listening to music, (when desired),

speakers front
Speakers Atmos and Surround

and still provide the clarity when watching a movie.

Denon x3200 with all Klipsch- RP 600 fronts, RP-504c, SPL 120, with older s3 surrounds (2 as atmos) in a 25 by 20 room.

As was advised earlier, I would like a LF and LR that are about 30 to 34 inches tall and no more than 18 inches deep. The Right speaker would sit on the floor with a 12 inch riser to give the speakers symmetry as the left will stand on the fireplace hearth.

I really appreciate your time and thoughts on this question. Thank you.

attaching a cpl pics of my current layout.

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

@skaggz02

Just clarifying, the determining factor of the size of the speaker is the one that will sit in the hearth. So you are looking at something that is between 18-22" high (30" to 34" - 12" riser, and I see 25" mentioned above), possibly 18" deep. And how wide would you be able to fit on that side of the hearth without blocking or being too close to the actual fireplace?

Thinking of between an 8" to 10" woofer and build off of that, depending on available maximum width. Though looking at Parts Express, you have options, for larger than 6", of 6-1/2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18". And whether it would be a 2 way or 3 way design would, again, depend on what the width and the woofer would be.

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: