Notifications
Clear all

Hello 👋 New Member Here!

Page 1 / 5

IOWAudio
(@iowaudio)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I'm and audio enthusiast and really enjoy music and mostly DIY audio. I also have a YouTube channel IOWAudio Reviews that I have been working on for the last 2 years. Its more or less just a hobby for me though. I built my first set of speakers out of a Parts Express catalog in 1999 when I was 13. Was pretty active in DIY audio reading books I got from PE and eventually found WinISD and taught myself to use it. Did several projects up till I was about 21 then quit audio completely till about two years ago. Went to college and was big into computers, cars, partying and girls ya know typical 20s. Had my daughter few years ago got engaded bought a house hello 30s...lol. A local I sold a set of my favorite DIY speakers to as I was spring cleaning and not caring about audio anymore reached out to me and wanted to know if I could repair his old Acoustic Research AR2ax and he would pay me. He's a really nice guy so I said sure. Starting looking the speakers over and looking for parts. Had to dig out an amplifier and my old music folder that was on an external hard drive. Starting tinkering with these old speakers and it hit me how much I really enjoyed this hobby. After that convinced myself to start a YouTube channel. Took me weeks to force myself to do the first video and nearly threw up...lol. Little tip, have a beer get relexed and just hit record....lol. I thought about doing a high performance PC building channel for years but instead decided to do audio and wanted to force myself to try something new and see where it goes. 🤔 Things are very different now in this hobby. Way more parts to pick from, better software, access to guys like Toid, internet, usb measurement mic, doing your own measurements, way more objective information available. So kinda learning all over again. Also watching Toid and Kirby for the last year or two has been helpful and encouraging. Anyway looking forward to being here.

My first DIY speakers. 

DSC00003

Turn it up!!!

Pieter, ajc9988, 123Toid and 1 people liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@iowaaudio Super stoked you are on here.  Also if no one knows, he has a great YouTube channel.  Make sure to check it out! 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpT_kN60jHU2YBhpiyW0ChA

He has some great things going on there.  

Feel free to put a link in your signature.  More people need to find your channel.  I still want to borrow that idea of using kill-a-watt to find out the wattage. That was a great idea. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Pieter
(@pieter)
Eminent Member Registered

Hey, gr uit Nederland 

Mijn laatste build en setup thuis

20210725 133750
20210725 133734

Lanzar 15 inch subwoofer

Philips 8 inch 3-weg 

Yamaha-ontvanger 7.1

Mini-DSP

Behringer inuke nu6000

HP pc i5

LG 55 inch Plasma

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Fxman31
(@fxman31)
New Member Registered

Hi everyone. I'm from India. 🖐️ 

Pieter liked
ReplyQuote

LORDMinor529
(@lordminor529)
New Member Registered

@pieter

CUCV? 1008, or 1009? 
I just joined today and the first thing I see is a squarebody Chevy. 
   I know I’m in the right place now. 
I have 4 of them myself. 👍

Pieter and 123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lordminor529 

Great to have you guys on board! I'm looking forward to talking shop with y'all.

ReplyQuote

Pieter
(@pieter)

@lordminor529 it was a 1009 i still regret selling it, maybe one will come my way in the future, you never know. i loved that car.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Pieter
(@pieter)

@123toid

I'd love to, I still have a lot to learn, and I'm very interested in your design of The Soundstage 15.
I have a plan to combine these in a tower with 2x 18 inch or 2x 15 inch subwoofer. I'm still working on 2x 1099 diy soundgroup, I'll finish that first.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pieter 

Those 1099's are fantastic.  Designed by Ryan (impulse audio) on YouTube.  He's a really great guy.  

As far as the Soundstage 15's go, they are an excellent speaker.  However I wouldn't personally add subwoofers to it.  If you do it'll really lower the sensitivity of the speaker.  Which kind of negates part of what makes it so nice.  It's the same reason, that you still use a subwoofer with the 1099's.  They are made more for sensitivity, which keeps them clean and loud.  Once you add some passive subwoofers to that design you'll take some of that away.  Instead, I would use a powered subwoofer with any of those types of designs. 

Pieter liked
ReplyQuote
Pieter
(@pieter)

@123toid 

That's what I meant, I control the subs with a nu6000 and a mini dsp.

I like to build it in a tower with separate rooms.

I can't help it I like big speakers.

But I also like the diysgroup's 1899.

Perhaps by then you can give me tips on the best construction of the towers.

Now that I read this it's like the lord of the rings movie "The Two Towers"

🤗 😎 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pieter 

Oh nice!  That would be awesome!  I actually also have an inuke 6000, non dsp.  Good amplifier, but it was replaced by my crown xti-2002

I'd be happy to help with the construction of the towers, as I am sure @chedwin and @ajc9988 would be as well. 

Pieter and ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Estimable Member Registered

@pieter @123Toid - The Two Towers instantly made me think of a design involving a super tweeter or a tweeter mounted on top of the main box, similar to the movie rendition of the towers. This can be accomplished with pre-made super tweeters, the tweeter used in the DINAS, or with an AMT tweeter mounted up top (although you would need to watch how it interacts with the edge of the towers regarding diffraction, as well as dealing with the distance from the other drivers and any time delays due to phase issues caused by placement). But if serious about wanting to make towers that look like "towers," there isn't much reason you couldn't design the box well, then put brick overlay (the fake brick siding) attached to the walls (accounting for any effects on resonance and it likely adding weight to the build overall).

One way I'm doing my towers is that there are banana plug receptacles in the back going to each speaker, made for hooking the plate amp up for each channel. This would also make it easy to convert my design to use a traditional crossover, or to break out the sub on the back panel and the woofer and tweeter into a passive crossover channel. Just as a thought on one way to accomplish the separate channels, depending on your goals and the final equipment selected.

Sorry, went a little nerdy on the two towers thing, but if you want to do it like a talking piece that is functional, always a thought (or if doing a themed entertainment room with sconces looking like torches, etc., doing towers that look like towers may be a nice touch). I'm a nerd.

edit:

Something like that for the top of the towers. I know, finding the right ones with the right properties could be difficult.

But just giving ideas on things, because why not let the creative juices flow?

Pieter liked
ReplyQuote

Chedwin
(@chedwin)

@pieter id be happy to do a rough tower design to give you a starting point. couple of questions for you.

what appoximate size is the room they would be going in?

can i check ive read it correct. are you thinking of putting a soundstage 15 and subwoofers in the same outer cabinet with separate internal chambers and amp channels making a 3 way bi amp, or would the subs be separate and you want 2 way tower version of the soundstage 15?

Josh Evans
- Professional Live Sound Engineer
- High End Commercial AV Install Technician

ajc9988 and Pieter liked
ReplyQuote
Pieter
(@pieter)

@123toid 

@chedwin

@ajc9988

There is a lot of power in this amp, does the crown sound better?

I am very satisfied with the Inuke.

Wow, I love that you guys are so excited to help me out!

Many thanks . 😊

I work as a truck driver and work 14 hours a day so I don't have much time to figure it out.

I mainly listen to music.

I have an idea in my head I will make a rough drawing so you have an idea what I mean.

Operate the subwoofers separately with the Inuke 6000 and the others on the receiver or on an Inuke 3000 that I also have lying around.

I don't know which combo will work better 18 inch or 15 inch subs, what do you guys think?

Dayton Audio MX15-22 or the Dayton Audio UM18-22.

The room is 5 x 7 meters 2.6 meters high.

I think it's great to talk to you about this, yes let the juices flow!!

I hope the google translate translates it right, but I think you get it.

It is basically the same as the 1899 design.

I did this as quickly as I had to get back to work. I look forward to your input. Thanks guys.

20210806 115249
20210612 153657

My Truck

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pieter 

I appreciate this, but it doesn't appear to be in English.  Can you translate this?

Pieter liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share:
%d bloggers like this: