Notifications
Clear all

Hello everybody!!

Ramil
(@ramil)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I’m a guitars and tube amps builder in Puerto Rico. Recently I started two project for myself, a hifi tube amp based on a dynaco mk vi monoblock and a pair of speakers. I’ve been building tube amps for about four years, all guitar amps. This is my first hifi project. I’m ok with the amp thing but I’m kind of lost with the speakers enclosure thing.  I’ve read and watched youtube videos but still need to respond some questions. I downloaded apps to design cabs for speakers (bassbox pro) and crossover design but still need to know some tricks from plople with experience. So I’m here to learn and to give what I know. A pleasure. Blessings to all.

123Toid liked
Red Eye
(@red-eye)
New Member Registered

Hey Ramil hope you’re doing well.  I have a pretty good collection of guitar  tube amps my self. When it comes to building cabinets for audio speakers, the two couldn’t be further apart. The first thing you need to ask your self is, do I want a cabinet thats ok, or do I want a cabinet that is the best it can be. Being a tube amp Guy myself, I think I know the answer lol.    All good guitar amps are made out of Pine, Marshall, Vox, Fender,an so on. They do that for the tone, where distortion is welcomed, an sought after. In HiFi speakers I go the opposite way, trying to eliminate distortion from the cabinet enclosure it self. Now you need to think about the material you have available to you.  A LOT of diy Guys use MDF board to build there speakers. That’s OK. It’s cheap, inexpensive, an easy to work with. Myself I only use Baltic Birch plywood.  This is getting a little longer than I intended. If I can be of any help in the construction part, I would be happy to give my 2 cents 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ramil we would be happy to help.  Let us know what you want to learn and we can see if we can help.  Feel free to share some of your amplifier projects as well.  I know we would all love to see them. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

Ramil liked
ReplyQuote
Ramil
(@ramil)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid I’ve been building tube amps for four years but I’m just starting my first hifi tube amp based on a dynaco mk vi monoblock. I’m also going to build a pair of speakers out of 20mm spanish cedar solid boards I have, to use them with that amp. I know that might not be the best material but I’ll reinforce to avoid vibration. The board are already cut to 7” x48” and 12” x 48”. So the most volume I can get for woofer is about 1.5 cubic feet. I have few drivers on hand.  hivi d10.8 that requires 1.9 cubic feet sealed and 5.7 vented for ideal performance, dayton dc200 which requires 1.36cf vented and peerless 830667 which requires 2.09cf. I would love to be able to use the hivi with a morel caw638 for the mids and a morel cat408 tweeter if there is a way to make it work. If not, I’ll use either the dc200 or the peerless with LaVoce FAN030.71 3" for mids and Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter. I guess the best choice is the dc200 obviously, based on the specs but here is where experience comes to play and that’s what I don’t have. I was thinking about crossover at about 500 to 800 hz and 3500hz. Well, let me know. Thanks.

AE9FC531 AF1B 4EB5 81F7 7E515AC173E8

AE9FC531 AF1B 4EB5 81F7 7E515AC173E8
620697D8 867E 4262 8A81 53D7A51A5A0C
0B3AE5BA A69F 402D 8289 802B12AAEC9B
0207D5F5 4834 4FD0 AE2C 684E05255DBF
D95C7BFC F6C7 4956 BDDF 00300F067876

Here some pics of some amps I’ve built.

521CF1BA 5B62 466E B53A E04201BD5FCB
6199C3EA 012C 4595 9B69 B53AF70C1669
95914E8A 1510 4D26 996C 2A77D6B17F94

ReplyQuote

Ramil
(@ramil)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@red-eye Hi. Thank you. I understand about the difference on guitar amps and cabs and hifi. I’m going to build a pair of speakers out of 20mm spanish cedar solid boards I have. I know that might not be the best material, because most people that don’t use mdf use birch ply, but I’ll do my best to make a good cab with this because I need to. The board are already cut to 7” x48” and 12” x 48”. So the most volume I can get for woofer is about 1.5 cubic feet. I have few drivers on hand.  hivi d10.8 that requires 1.9 cubic feet sealed and 5.7 vented for ideal performance, dayton dc200 which requires 1.36cf vented and peerless 830667 which requires 2.09cf. I would love to be able to use the hivi with a morel caw638 for the mids and a morel cat408 tweeter if there is a way to make it work. If not, I’ll use either the dc200 or the peerless with LaVoce FAN030.71 3" for mids and Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter. I guess the best choice is the dc200 obviously, based on the specs but here is where experience comes to play and that’s what I don’t have. I was thinking about crossover at about 500 to 800 hz and 3500hz. Well, let me know. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Red Eye
(@red-eye)
New Member Registered

@ramil. I’m not your Guy for crossovers but maybe we can keep this thread going an someone will chime in an give ya some advice.    I love what you’re doing with the amps, an the pedals. If you lived close to me, I could keep you covered up in amp tech work. I have about 10 amps that I can think of, that needs cleaned an recapped.  As far as your speaker cabinet goes, in think the Cedar would be absolutely beautiful. If I were building a cabinet with Cedar, I would try to stop the cabinet from resinating, not just damping it after the fact. My last build, I used a product called Flex-Seal. I cut small pieces of THIN scrap Plywood, an used the Flex Seal to glue them to the inside of the cabinet. You need to cover about 80 percent of the inside cabinet. Try to keep the small pieces from touching, don’t but the pieces together. Keep them about 2 inch’s apart. I was very happy with the results.   Peace Brother, an stay Safe

ReplyQuote

Ramil
(@ramil)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@red-eye thank you. I’ll look for that product. The wood looks beautiful. I’ll post pics when finished. I’m pretty exited about this speakers project. As for the amps, I’ve built a few from Dumbles, Marshalls, Hiwat, Matchless, Trainwreck, Dr Z, among others. All moded to my liking with some changes here and there and some extras. Yes, I’ve built about 30 pedals, most of them overdrives and some delays and reverbs. Love to do all this kind of things. You can also see some of my guitars on my facebook page Ramil Custom Guitars. Thank you for your help. Appreciated. Have a nice whatever is there. Blessings.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: