Hello everyone NEW ...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello everyone NEW MEMBER

Audio Alien
(@audio-alien)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hello community, I find myself here after buying plans for the Dinas. After building a pair I was very impressed with the outcome! Good job 123TOID.  I now wont to continue learning about speaker design, crossovers mainly right now, and I fell I can trust this community to help out.

AKA: trying to get my post count up so i can attach files to get some opinions on..

123Toid and ajc9988 liked
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Estimable Member Registered

Posted by: @audio-alien

Hello community, I find myself here after buying plans for the Dinas. After building a pair I was very impressed with the outcome! Good job 123TOID.  I now wont to continue learning about speaker design, crossovers mainly right now, and I fell I can trust this community to help out.

AKA: trying to get my post count up so i can attach files to get some opinions on..

So, do you have a calibrated mic and DATS v3 or some other means of measuring impedance? There are ways to do it otherwise, such as tracing graphs provided by the companies. @TVOR-Ceasar , could you provide the link to where we were discussing this the other day and the zip file you posted.

If you are like me, getting your hands on with creating the numbers to then understand how this all works together and using that with the software to generate the possible solution, followed by buying them, soldering, and testing is the best way to learn.

Now, if you want practice with the software without a real world product in hand (just to practice or to narrow down what you will possibly need once the drivers you are considering show up), you can use the software TVOR reposted in order for you to get the files to start playing around in Xsim, a software for crossover design.

Can you give some information with your background, your equipment, and your plans? In part, this just helps get those post numbers up by you responding to my questions and posts, so...

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

Here's the post where you can download FPGraphTracer.

I have no clue as to what happened to the guy's website, but at least you can still find his freeware on here. I know that not everyone does this, but I suggest you hold onto any downloads that you would want to use in the future because of situations just like this. My repository goes way back to when I first got on the WWW back in '99.

Also, you can find information on how to do certain measurements the old fashioned way over on ESP's website.

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@audio-alien I am so glad to hear that you like them.  They are really fun speakers.  I really enjoyed designing them.  And I really love seeing people enjoy them.  Do you have any pictures?  I would love to see the final project. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Audio Alien
(@audio-alien)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi ajc9988, thanks for the reply!

As for my background, It all started with car audio(years ago). Im somewhat of a bass junkie especially in my vehicle. Over the years I have used software such as WINISD, bassbox pro, ect. to design and build vehicle sub enclosures. Through trail and error I now feel pretty comfortable using these programs but still have alot to learn. Also because of my personality and interest in audio I have been trying to learn as much as possible over the years and feel i have a solid basic understanding. 

I also have a solid understanding of electronics. I enjoy refurbishing/repairing broken power amplifiers and other electronics in my free time. Over the past 3-4 years I have been slowly getting into more home audio. Im currently running a pair of Mirage OM-8 for my fronts, Denon AVR-X3400h receiver, and have several different power amps laying around when more power is wonted.

Recently I have been trying to learn about crossovers. This subject, so far, has been a little intimidating/overwhelming. I currently do not have a calibrated mic or DATS and was planning on using the factory posted FRD & ZMA files to use in Xsim. I also have FPGraphTracer now (thanks to TVOR-Ceasar) to also get the FRD & ZMA files from company's that just post graphs.

Im in the begining stages, but I bought 2 Dayton Epique E180HE-44 that im wanting to tryout in a MTM type setup. This is why im trying to learn crossover design right now, for this project.

ReplyQuote
Audio Alien
(@audio-alien)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123Toid I will try and post some pictures once my post count allows me to.

ReplyQuote

Share:
%d bloggers like this: