Help needed for cro...

Help needed for crossover  

RSS

rrmitko
(@rrmitko)
New Member Registered
16/08/2019 6:53 am  

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum 😀 My name is Dimitar,and I live in UK. I have these Visaton W 200 S woofers now and Technics EAS-6HH11S horn tweeters, but I have trouble making the crossover for them. The boxes are 20 liters with bass reflex(140mm),made from 18mm MDF.I would be really grateful if you could help me:) 

box
Tweeter 2
Tweeter 1

123Toid liked
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
16/08/2019 3:56 pm  

Hello rrmitko and welcome to the forum!

To design a crossover, you need at least the minimum of the complementary speaker's overlap area and their impedance ratings (ohm). The woofer can be found on the Parts Express website, but the tweeter is a bit harder to find. 🙁

Let's go with what we know and an assumption. The woofer is 8 ohms impedance and the graph shows decent response up to about 2500 Hz, even though it says 6000 Hz.

The tweeter is 6 ohms impedance and of unknown resonance frequency. We can assume that it will be good from around 1500 - 2000 Hz on up, just by looking at similar style tweeters. I know, that is a big assumption, but it is the best we have to go on since I was unable to find out any information on this particular model.

Now, if you don't know how to calculate the crossover or don't have any software, that's okay. Here's a website that can get you started: https://www.v-cap.com/speaker-crossover-calculator.php

Pick an order of crossover and put in 6 for the high-pass and 8 for the low-pass and a crossover frequency, let's just say 2000 Hz. The text boxes will fill in with values, and if you click the Additional Information link at the bottom of the individual tables, it will show you how to wire the circuit.

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
16/08/2019 4:07 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Not to butt in on the topic but that’s a nice little website. I hadn’t seen that as of yet!  Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
16/08/2019 9:03 pm  

@lindelium18

Join in anytime. I don't have any qualms or exclusivity about or to any of the posts here. 🙂

I like that sites like these exist because I can check things out when I'm not at my computer. A real handy resource! Besides, if I had to do it by hand, it would be rough most of the time because I don't carry paper and pencil around much anymore. 😉 Lol

PS - I also wanted to say that if you keep changing the crossover frequency, you will change the component values, which will let you get to the values that would be listed for sale on the websites / in catalogs and you will know what that frequency should be should the values be exact. You would then be able to look at a tested measurement graph of your speakers and see how well it worked.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
17/08/2019 2:49 pm  

@rrmitko The main issue I see is these do not have any type of graphs associated with them.  Another issue you will probably have is beaming.  That Vistaton is an 8" driver and will typically start beaming around 1.2Khz and you will want to cross it over by 2Khz.  I don't think that tweeter will be able to do that.  Either way, if you do not have measurement equipment, I would let people know where you live and see if anyone has any around you.  If not, then I would just stick with a premade crossover and get a variable L-pad to attenuate your tweeter.

ReplyQuote
rrmitko
(@rrmitko)
New Member Registered
17/08/2019 3:14 pm  

@123toid

Thanks for the reply. What if I replace the tweeters ?

ReplyQuote

bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Eminent Member Registered
24/08/2019 8:28 am  

For an 8" woofer, you really need either a 3 way or waveguide on your tweeter for directivity matching and for the tweeter to cross over low enough before the woofer's breakup modes.

When designing a crossover, you really need measurements. What really matters is the acoustical slopes. Rarely does a textbook electrical filter result in the correct acoustical slope due to naturally falling woofer response from coil inductance and natural tweeter roll-off near the crossover frequency.

ReplyQuote
rrmitko
(@rrmitko)
New Member Registered
25/08/2019 2:38 am  
Posted by: @bjaurelio

For an 8" woofer, you really need either a 3 way or waveguide on your tweeter for directivity matching and for the tweeter to cross over low enough before the woofer's breakup modes.

When designing a crossover, you really need measurements. What really matters is the acoustical slopes. Rarely does a textbook electrical filter result in the correct acoustical slope due to naturally falling woofer response from coil inductance and natural tweeter roll-off near the crossover frequency.

I bought new tweeters (Monacor H22/8) instead of trying to guess. Hopefully will mach nicely with W200S.I guess I have to use online calculator for the crossover.

ReplyQuote

Share: