Notifications
Clear all

Hi guys

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

It occurred to me that I haven’t yet introduced myself properly. My name is Martin, I live in Denmark, Northern Europe. I just started looking into the DIY audio world a couple of years ago. I was looking for a speaker to suit my aesthetic wishes and couldn’t seem to find the right one, so I decided to try making my own. I did a lot of research and really fell in love with the process. I imagine a lot of you probably started out this way. It turned in to a hobby of mine and eventually I made a small business out of it. I would love for it to become my full time occupation some day, but for now it’s still a small start-up that I work on, on the side from my day-job. 
I am a pretty strong creator and builder, both wood working, concrete etc. I love math and understanding how things work. But my knowledge with pretty much all things audio is probably pretty limited, compared to a lot of you guys. I’ve learned a lot since joining this forum though, and I hope to be able to give back. 

123Toid liked
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

Martin,

We all started just like you, not knowing a thing but wanting to learn. And here we are along with you. 🙂 

Here's to seeing you grow your passion into a fruitful business. Cheers!

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

kanaaudio liked
ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@tvor-ceasar thank you! 🙂 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@kanaaudio

First of all welcome!  I love seeing your work on Instagram.  You do an amazing job.  I especially enjoyed the concrete oval build.  Top notch!  I completely understand wanting to make this full-time.  I hope you can do it.  Sorry I haven't been on lately, I actually got really sick the past few days.  I am starting to feel better. This si the time of the year, were I am prone to sinus infections.  And they hit again. Maybe someday, that won't be an issue. 

Anyway, I have enjoyed having you on the forum, I look forward to seeing your future builds and seeing you grow your business. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@123toid

Thank you for the nice words, I appreciate it.

Yes the concrete model seems to get most of the attention so far. I have sold a handful of those already. My plan is to only build a limited number of each model, but - let’s see how it goes. 

Sorry to hear, I hope you’ll feel like yourself again soon! 

Thank you, I feel very welcomed in this community 🙂 I think it’s a hard market to navigate, hand-building speakers for sale. I am sure we can learn a lot from each other. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
beatmaniaboy
(@beatmaniaboy)
Active Member Registered

Hi Martin,

I'm Shawn and I'm based in SJ, CA. I've built the dinas. Im about to build the esoteric bookshelves. I love car audio. I only have 4 amps in my car and dsp.

Toid has been an inspiration for me because I would have never have thought about building speakers without him.

ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@beatmaniaboy

nice to make your acquaintance - sounds like you have familiarized yourself with quite a lot of the DIY audio world already. I am only just getting started on the technical side, I have always enjoyed the creativity and process of creating and building something new and eventually I felt the quality of the audio sound should fit the unique designs, so I went online searching for help and knowledge. Stopped when I stumbled onto 123toids creation here.

ReplyQuote
Fad
 Fad
(@fad)
New Member Registered

I’m new to the site and u have me believing I could make a speaker.  I am a woodworker so I’m confident in that aspect.  Are there any kits u would recommend or should I go full in with a crossover build and everything else.  It is a little intimidating.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@fad

Welcome to the community 🙂

I have used the Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 amp board with Bluetooth quite a lot, especially in the beginning. Like you, I began with zero knowledge of audio stuff but a great deal of experience with building. 
I think that board is great because everything you might need (battery extension, volume knob, on/off switch, indicator lights etc.) can be connected easily. Plus it’s safe (even though it’s low voltage) because you know everything has been designed to fit together. 
Only thing you need to solder on there is the drivers and the power plug. 
You can get it on partsexpress or soundimports, depending on where in the world you live. 
I also think that this series of products is good quality for the price. I never have had any problems with it. Although I’m sure some of the guys on here can cook something up in the laps just as good or better for next to nothing, price-wise. 

best of luck,

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fad

That is a great question.  It is typically best to start with some type of proven kit.  TO really give you an idea of which would be best, we would want to know what you want out of them.  Certain size, space requirements and what type of sound you want.  But here are four fun speakers you can build.

The Dinas - my design - powered with excellent bass (35hz) - really considered full-range bookshelf speakers - reviewed by Joe N Tell Here 

Overnight Sensations - Small bookshelf speaker design by Paul Carmody - gets down to 50hz.

THX Clone - Designed for Home Theater - much bigger, very clean, and designed to be crossed over to a sub

CNote - one of the best value kits out there.  

kanaaudio liked
ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@fad @123toid

I see now that I might have answered the wrong thing. You were looking for total kits with speakers and crossovers, not just the amp and Bluetooth electronics. 
Luckily, I get to hide behind the fact that English is not my first language 😂

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@123toid

If your choice was between the overnight sensations and the cnote, what would you choose, in terms of overall sound and bass?

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@kanaaudio

I guess it really depends on the type of sound that you want. I would characterize the cnotes as more for critical listening, while the overnight sensations are tuned a little bit more towards bass. 

kanaaudio liked
ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Topic starter  

@123toid

Precise and helpful answer, thanks! I’ve only ever listened to the Cnote speakers. I was thinking of trying out the overnight sensations kit, but from your description I think I’ll stick to the Cnote kit. I appreciate being able to hear the details in the music and I rarely listen to music with a lot of ufm ufm ufm. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Share:
%d bloggers like this: