Hi! Newbie seeking ...

Notifications
Clear all

Hi! Newbie seeking advice on home theater speakers.

Dave13
(@dave13)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!

I've been doing a bunch of Google and YouTube research, trying to climb this learning curve a bit.  Was really excited to find your videos and this forum.  Thank you for tons of great information!

This will be my first speaker build.  I have a lot of experience building furniture, so no concerns with the woodworking.  Have built a few MAMEs and things like that, so I enjoy trying new things.

But I am getting lost in the audio details and would love some advice.

My theater is in my basement and is about 17' wide.  Low ceiling of 7' 6".  The depth is a little weird.  The seating area is about 20' deep, but effectively there is no back wall.  (We have a long basement and this area is open to the rest of the basement).

The Cinema 6 V2 has me very intrigued.  I'm wondering if it is appropriate for my space or if I should be looking at something different?  That design seems to be about the top of my budget range.

I have read the whole $3500 speakers for $350 thread and saw a cool approach to modify the cabinet for a center speaker.  What do you think about using the V2 for left, right, and center, and then adding a sub?  Should I wait for your Cinema 10 design for surround speakers?  Any guesstimate on the cost of the Cinema 10?

I'm also open to thoughts on a reasonably priced receiver.  I am truly starting from scratch.  🙂

Thanks and great to meet you!

Dave

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dave13 first of all, that is awesome that you build mame cabinets! I'm in the process, planning process, of building one myself. I had one before I moved, but I had to destroy the cabinet to move it across country. So I still have all the components, but just need to reassemble and rebuild the cabinet. They are fun though, eh?

As far as the cinema 6 v2, that's exactly what I'm doing. It's completely appropriate for your space. I'll be running three of them in the front along a sub. Currently I have two of the v1's on the left and right, but should get all the rest of the components for the v2s as early as today. So I'll be upgrading mine hopefully sometime next week. And I paired them with the mx15 subwoofer. Although I think I'll probably end up buying another one and putting another one in. Not that I need it, but it's nice to have.

But honestly you can't go wrong with those v2s. They are just so crisp and clear and very linear. I'm very happy with how they came out. Oh and if you have any issues or problems, we're here for you. We'd be happy to help you out with anything that you might encounter. No matter what DIY speaker you go with.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Dave13
(@dave13)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid Thanks for the welcome!

Indeed, the MAMEs were fun.  Built my first one over a decade ago and then updated it to a Pi last year.  It's amazing what a Pi can do now compared to an old Pentium from the 90's.  lol

I have also wanted to build a digital pinball table for quite some time.  That project just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet.

Thanks for the confirmation on the V2s for our theater room.  I will buy your plan and start studying. 🙂

Do you have a guesstimate of when your Cinema 10 design might be out?

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: