Notifications
Clear all

Howdy

pufferfish
(@pufferfish)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Building a red oak, box joint cabinet for an overnight sensations build. I'm a scientist who studies the brain but with COVID am right now am doing my Ignatius P. Reilly impression. My dad bought a table saw, router table, etc. Thus the challenge is to find projects to use the maximum amount of tools possible.

Question I want to ask is whether there is a tradeoff in general for high sensitivity drivers. Do they not damp as well?

IMG 0678

123Toid liked
Topic Tags
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pufferfish

First of all, those OS look fantastic!  I can't wait to see how you finish them. 

As far as the trade off's of high sensitivity goes, the main trade-offs are due to Hoffman's Iron Law.  If you are familiar with KLH, Hoffman is the H in KLH.  He basically surmised that the perfect driver would be sensitive, small box and low end extension.  However, you can only have two of the three.  So you can start to see the issue with high efficiency drivers, they either have low extension but need a huge box or use a smaller box, but lack the low end extension others like.  

Now I personally don't see any of this as an issue, just a trade-off.  Commercial movie theaters all use high efficiency drivers, including subwoofers.  The key here, is knowing that the low-end extension will be coming from your subwoofers.  This isn't typically an issue, since for movies you can crossover from 120-80hz and send that signal to your LFE.  However, if you want a full-range high efficiency, the speaker will probably be really big or use multiple drivers.

Having said that the Soundstage 15, I recently built. Uses about a 3 cubic foot box and goes down to 46hz.  Not bad.  But it does use a 15" woofer.  It's very sensitive and has a soundstage unlike anything else I've heard. It doesn't need much more than 7watts to power it.  However, it still lacks the low end extension like the Uglies.  Which have a similar sized box and go much lower, 30's anechoically. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

pufferfish
(@pufferfish)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid  Thanks for getting back, when are you going to name a speaker "Big Papi"?. 🙂  Just went into spiral to understand connection with box size. High efficiency speakers don't have a big restoring force (high q) at resonance frequency, so they don't like a lot of backpressure or something like that. Upside is that they resonate more easily.  I think I understand why there are all those peaks and valleys on the impedence plot of a speaker. i kind of knew it had to depend on the box size somewhat.  But I think I see now that the peak occurs at the resonance frequency, if voltage is constant and you're obviously more efficient at the resonance frequency then you must need less current and by v=ir, r must be higher. The thing I need to understand better is how the flatness of the frequency response depends on all this. 

I'll post pictures of the speakers once I'm done, love the channel.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: