Page 1 / 2
  RSS

DrHD
 DrHD
(@drhd)
Active Member Registered
14/02/2020 11:54 am  

Hi All,

Just joined and am completely new to all things AV. My wife and I have a home automation system called COntrol4, and its pretty great. However, we are about to do an addition and really don't want to plow more money into tech that we just don't value. Since we currently have the home automation and its running, instead of having additional different apps and automation I wanted to see if we could integrate either the arylic ampSA100 or TIC AMP100 into our existing system, then rebroadcast to another Arylic or TIC amp outside that's connected to additional speakers. 

I hope im making sense. My thought process was to take the Arylic/TIC amp and put between my existing multi-channel amp and wired speakers that run to our patio. If I did this essentially the multi channel amp would be a line-in course on the Arylic/TIC amp and then re-connect the existing speakers to the Arylic/TIC amp. 

Current Set-up: MC AMP-->Outdoor patio speakers

Questionable Set-up: MC AMP-->ARYLIC/TIC-->Outdoor patio speakers

Link the new to another Arylic/TIC amp that outside connected to more speakers.

Thanks in advance. Hope this makes sense, and is possible. Any all advice is greatly appreciated. 

//H

DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Estimable Member Registered
14/02/2020 2:31 pm  

Hi there, my name is Elliott. I think I could help you. You usually wouldn't be able to hook an amp up to another amp as one or the other would just die, or unsufferable distortion. However there is something in the car audio industry called a speaker to line level converter, that way you could hook up your normal multichannel amp to your normal speakers but still have a split output along the line going into the other amp for your other speakers, or vice versa. If you need any help with this type of stuff just ask and I or someone else will reply as soon as possible. 😀 Nice to meet you by the way. Where do you live, I'm from the Midlands in England.

ReplyQuote
DrHD
 DrHD
(@drhd)
Active Member Registered
14/02/2020 2:37 pm  

@diyaudiphileelliottbridge

Hi Elliot, 

Thanks so so much for the reply. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia (USA). I'd be thrilled to try anything. Just trying to see what options are out there and see if I can "jerry-rig" it to work. Please share any potential ideas that may work.....I'd love to see what we can do here! 

Much appreciated. 

//H

ReplyQuote
14/02/2020 3:15 pm  

@drhd If you want to use that amp, I'm guessing it is stereo, so there are a few options for you. You could use something like an echo dot and use that to join your speakers into groups, that wouldn't be very expensive at all. Or you could continue with the idea of hooking your MC amp to your other amp with the FL going into one splitter and the FR going into another and then joining it up into a stereo line-level signal for your 2nd amp. As I said, anything you need clarifying I am happy to help.

Personally what I have set up is an echo dot going into an upmixer so it plays through all channels in my surround system, 1 upstairs into my bedroom speaker, an echo plus in the kitchen, and another echo dot into my extension's stereo system. Then using the app I hooked Alexa into my lights and stuff and then made groups like everywhere, upstairs and downstairs, and more individual groups like home theatre, extension, and bedroom. This way I get sound coming from any particular place I want and I still get it playing through my amps and speakers. Which is why I mentioned the dot as it has an AUX out, which is why I use it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
14/02/2020 3:16 pm  

Also, I'm sorry but I don't know anything about SONOS, and the systems you mentioned so I won't be able to help specifically in that respect. But the setup of the things I mentioned I am happy to help.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
15/02/2020 1:13 am  

@drhd

This should be doable. I could not find your exact amplifier.  Do you happen to know the exact model number or could you link it?  That way we can show you what to do.  Something like the Arylic A50, hs both an RCA in and out, which is how your control 4 should hook up.  It should be as easy as hooking one up in your main location and one to your patio amplifier.  This would then keep your already functioning control 4 intact while adding all the arylic features you desire. We jsut need to see how yours is hooked up, so we can walk you through it. 

ReplyQuote
15/02/2020 3:09 pm  

@123toid

I'm glad you interjected, I clearly didn't grasp the situation correctly, I thought he was trying to connect an amp to another amp, but he is trying to connect a DACamp to another amp. 🙂 I get it now.

@DrHD

You could always route RCA splitter cables, as 123Toid says it really depends on what inputs and such your amp has. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Scotty
(@scotty)
Active Member Registered
15/02/2020 4:44 pm  

@DrHD
I get what you are trying to do.
My first thought was a pair of Sonos speakers, but, as you may (or may not) have seen recently, Sonos is in a bit of a row with some of their older hardware not being able to be updated anymore. So, to your comment about plowing cash into tech that you don't value, that may not be the answer.

RE: Feeding an speaker level signal into a line level input, you can do that as @DIYAudiphileElliottBridge mentioned.
As with the auto sound industry, the sound reproduction industry field has a device that will knock that signal level down to a safe level.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could build one quite inexpensively. But, this solution is not ideal.

As @123Toid mentions, it *should* be doable via line level connections on both ends.
Pop a new reply in here with your equipment model numbers so we can get a good idea of what you have to work with.

On a somewhat related side note, I have been thinking (in my pea-brain, it's a slow process) about a "Sonos Killer" project that would be "future-proof" from the current hardware/software issues that Sonos if facing with old/outdated hardware.
Maybe something along the lines of a Raspberry Pi with some kind of DAC/ADC/Amplifier HAT.

Does your home addition project have a timeline? Do you have time before wiring/cabeling will be buttoned up inside walls?

ReplyQuote
DrHD
 DrHD
(@drhd)
Active Member Registered
15/02/2020 5:15 pm  

@scotty

wow guys thanks so much. Ok, so before we go any further please talk to me like a child. I have absolutely no background in this stuff but am eager to learn. 

it’s crazy but I did grasp a fair bit but going ahead and trying to build something that sounds like a delightful pastry but clearly is a gadget is beyond the scope of my capability. 
time frame is about 6-8 months out. We are working with our architect and pool company but I like to think of how we can make this entire space play nicely with the rest of the house. I’ll get the specs and shoot them over. Thanks a ton guys! 

Scotty liked
ReplyQuote
15/02/2020 5:23 pm  

@scotty

@DrHD

I do agree with the quality of those line level converters they aren't always the best, and in terms of seeing what we can do with the equipment at hand, that would be ideal if we could get those model numbers. As for ideas for futureproofing, I like the idea of the raspberry pi + Linux stuff, but that can very often take up a lot of time for those with inexperience. A good one to connect all your speakers together is the echo dot as they always update the firmware on their old devices on those things to the same versions on the newer devices, and with the way things are going, I don't think Amazon is going anywhere. But if you don't want to fuss with any new technology I completely understand, it can get expensive quickly (but can make things a lot quicker). However, if we can't get the line->line working because your DAC doesn't have a line-out then I am sure we can figure out something, after all we have a lot of experienced DIYers on the forum. 🙂

Scotty liked
ReplyQuote
15/02/2020 5:25 pm  

@drhd

Sorry about that, you sent that reply as I was typing mine out. Anything you need clarifying just shout out and one of us will explain it. ;D

ReplyQuote
DrHD
 DrHD
(@drhd)
Active Member Registered
15/02/2020 10:27 pm  

Ok guys so I attached the front and back of the unit.  I didn’t want to scare everyone with the rats nest of wires that go in and come out of the taco but hopefully this will help you help me! Thankfully the speaker wires were all labeled so I’m not randomly pulling and trying! TIA

BE865995 3A1E 419B AABF 518AD7ADAC1B
55669487 89CB 4F1B A6EF 88450777F4AA

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
16/02/2020 12:01 pm  

@drhd

DO you know how many RCA inputs you are using on the back of your amplifier?  You have 8 stereo input on that amplifier.  I see input 1 taken up, but can't see any others.

ReplyQuote
DrHD
 DrHD
(@drhd)
Active Member Registered
16/02/2020 4:45 pm  

I have one free input! 

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Trusted Member Registered
16/02/2020 6:17 pm  

From the picture on the front of the unit it looks like it only has 3 inputs mapped, or are those the outputs?  If you have something like a receiver merging many of the inputs to the control 4 it might be possible to have the Arylic after your receiver/AVR or your most prominent/likely input and y cable or passthru to the control 4. 

As many details as you can document will be helpful to let us understand the best solution.  What is each input, what is each output (multi channel in one room, multiple rooms etc)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: