Notifications
Clear all

New, not noob  

RSS

GABuckeye
(@gabuckeye)
New Member Registered
20/06/2020 4:37 pm  

My audio roots date back to the 80's where I studied pro sound (Ohio State Department of Theatre), worked at a high-end audio store, and moonlighted in car audio. Flash forward to today and I live in the Northeast corner of Georgia, have a fairly well equipped shop, and am eager to replace my home theater speakers with DIY. 

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
21/06/2020 1:10 am  

Welcome! 

Sounds like you have a plan in the works. What do you have at the moment and what are you thinking of building? 

Inquiring minds want to know! 😀

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
GABuckeye
(@gabuckeye)
New Member Registered
21/06/2020 4:22 am  

@tvor-ceasar The Uglies brought me to this site. Thinking about a matching MTM horizontal center, though the X/O would need reworked (possibly DSP and/or downsizing from 8" to 6" drivers for the center). That being said, SAF would cause me to spend more time on the furniture than what earned then their moniker regardless of what I build.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/06/2020 3:04 pm  

@gabuckeye

First of all, glad to have you!  Not too far from me.  Well I'm not really sure, but I jsut moved near Memphis.  

Excellent news about the Uglies.  I should have the plans for the center out in the next week or two.  It does use the W6-1721 in an MTM configuration.  

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/06/2020 3:05 pm  
IMG 20200423 004724 437

Here it is unpainted.

ReplyQuote
GABuckeye
(@gabuckeye)
New Member Registered
21/06/2020 3:27 pm  

@123toid

Memphis is 375 miles away, but that's day trip-able. My wife & I were there last summer.

I have a 75" TV on a short stand. I'm thinking about modifying the Uglies design to an MTM & mating that to an amp / miniDSP module rather than re-working the passive X/O of the original for the new configuration & orientation I would use the same volume of the original design & port and mimic the shape of the top of the stands. The TV would then sit on the new center atop the stand. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
22/06/2020 12:05 am  

^THIS^ is what I love about the DIY community. It's not about "what can I buy to upgrade?", it's about what is out there that I can adapt to best fit my needs and make my own. It's about really getting down to the nuts and bolts and volts of it all to customize the experience specifically to you, commercialization be damned! (Though welcome enough in certain aspects.)

😀 

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/06/2020 8:23 pm  

@gabuckeye

You could definitely do that.  Some day, maybe I'll make a huge MTM version of it.  But that is not in the works right now.  Just seems like it'll be too big for most people. But ho knows, you could make it a sealed design to really cut down on the size, but proted, is so much fun 😊 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/06/2020 8:24 pm  

@gabuckeye

Feel free to come down sometime with it and we can design a passive crossover as well for you.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: