Notifications
Clear all

Newbie saying hi

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi All

Very recently got back into the idea of building my own speakers.  I currently run PMC OB1s and a PMC CB6 centre and I really like the idea of being able to build something that sounds better than these well renowned speakers.

TOIDS YouTube videos have helped a lot.

My concern with all these "DIY Speaker" builds is they are aimed at being cheap, or being the best sound quality for $xxx.

I've started by prototyping what I think is a different way of building a cabinet.  I think it's a goer so I'm going to build them.

I'll probably be posting plenty of daft questions in the Q&A area.

Cheers all 🙂

Phil

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

Welcome Phil! You'll find we like to answer questions here, as well as share whatever knowledge we've gathered over the years. As Nick (123Toid) has stated before, this is a place for people to come and build a safe community of DIY'ers, where we want everyone to become excited for the hobby. That's the general gist.

I'm not familiar with your speakers, so I can't comment on them. Maybe after a little research after work....

DIY doesn't always mean cheap (though compared to the higher end stuff, it can become exponentially less expensive),  but it is definitely about seeing what "YOU" can do in comparison to the big manufacturers. And what a feeling you get when things are on track!

As a final comment, you should be able to post pics, but links are disabled until you hit a certain number of posts, which I believe is 5. This prevents spammers from inundating the forum. Should you need to add a link before then, PM myself or 123Toid, and we'll add the link for you.

Again, welcome and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with as well as whatever questions you may have. ✌️

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

Deadeye liked
ReplyQuote

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

@tvor-ceasar

Thanks Charlie

PMC are an English company, the founder was a BBC sound engineer.

Here are my OB1s. They were replaced by OB1is which have been replaced several times since!

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/ob1

Cheers

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@deadeye

Sweet!  We're excited to have you and see what you come up with and how we can help.  Typically, my videos aim at showing people the value inbuilding your own.  Just the fact that you can build something similar or better than for significantly less.  A way to help bring people in to the hobby.  I must say the JBL inspired speakers sound significantly better. The person I designed them for had this to say about them:

"They're great! Love them! I wasn't an audiophile before but I think I'm turning into one now! Listening to music now is more enjoyable than I thought possible, I can "see" the music now. Karaoke is on a whole new level now too! I love the clarity of the sound they produce, no discomfort to the ears. You don't realize how loud they are until you try to talk to someone because the purity of the sound is so clean."

I probably don't give the speakers their due justice.  

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

polyrhythmic81
(@polyrhythmic81)
Active Member Registered

@deadeye you can spend a lot of money in DIY if you want to!

check out Troels Graveson

I built these for about $1k including cabinet materials and they sound fantastic: Zaph Audio ZD5 Uses the same (or very similar) midwoofer you'll find in the $700k Wilson Audio WAMM (and many others), which i think is pretty cool.

Like you, I'm working on starting to design on my own, but I don't expect to "get it right" until after a quite a few tries.  If you haven't built an established design, I highly recommend it for the satisfaction of knowing you have a speaker that sounds better than something you'd pay 10x the money for in the Magnolia room.

ReplyQuote
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @polyrhythmic81

I built these for about $1k including cabinet materials and they sound fantastic: Zaph Audio ZD5 Uses the same (or very similar) midwoofer you'll find in the $700k Wilson Audio WAMM (and many others), which i think is pretty cool.

That is cool 🙂

ReplyQuote

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

Where is the best place to post questions?

I posted a question here but not sure it's the right place: https://toidsdiyaudio.com/community/diy-speakers-diy-speakers/diy-speaker-project-the-correct-order/

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @123toid

@deadeye

Sweet!  We're excited to have you and see what you come up with and how we can help.  Typically, my videos aim at showing people the value inbuilding your own.  Just the fact that you can build something similar or better than for significantly less.  A way to help bring people in to the hobby.  I must say the JBL inspired speakers sound significantly better. The person I designed them for had this to say about them:

"They're great! Love them! I wasn't an audiophile before but I think I'm turning into one now! Listening to music now is more enjoyable than I thought possible, I can "see" the music now. Karaoke is on a whole new level now too! I love the clarity of the sound they produce, no discomfort to the ears. You don't realize how loud they are until you try to talk to someone because the purity of the sound is so clean."

I probably don't give the speakers their due justice.  

Hi Nick

Good to meet you "virtually".

I wasn't referring to your builds in particular being "cheap", I meant the general DIY speaker builds.

Keep up the good work.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@deadeye

Thanks!  Good to meet you as well.  Don't worry I didn't take it personally, I was just explaining why I do what I do. One of the downsides of forums, lacks good context at times 😀 

I'll try to keep up the good work.  I appreciate it. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: