Old Dog Desires New...

Notifications
Clear all

Old Dog Desires New Tricks, Will Concentrate.

RJH3
 RJH3
(@rjh3)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Re-entering the DIY world via the flux capacitor of retirement. So, here, my fellow seekers of infinite theoretical perfection amidst a workbench (if not a world) marred by the harsh reality of persistent fallibility, I have questions for you all and @123Toid in particular (since he pulled me into this rabbit hole.)

@123Toid,
I saw your YouTube video, "How to Make a $3000 DIY HiFi Amplifier for $300," and think I can do this! 45-50 years ago I built Knight kits and Heathkits. And before that I soldered a tube transmitter from a schematic and parts list I found in an old post-WW2 electronics book. But that was a long time ago. Now gray-haired and retired, I would like to reclaim my youth, sort of.

So, your easy going (confidence-inspiring) video gave me courage! I do have a question, though. What pre-amp do you or anyone out there suggest for the amp? Is there a DIY pre-amp you would recommend? I read your positive review of the ARYLIC 2.1 and the tube feature looks great. But the specs showed a .02% distortion measurement. I would hope that was not typical. Please educate me and point me toward some pre-amps that would match well with the amp.

If things go well and I have not burned off my fingertips with the soldering iron, I am already looking longingly at building your JBL clones. From the review by Thomas & Stereo of the amp you built, it seems the historical "warm" sound of JBLs would be a good match to that class D amp.

Well, thanks so much for motivating me! (I just wish you were not wearing that Red Sox hat. I am a Tigers fan and you guys broke our hearts on the last day of the season in 1967, and then got beat by the Cardinals in the World Series. But, hey, you--@123Toid-- weren't even born then, so I can't be too angry at you, and the Boston area has been a mecca for HiFi innovation.)

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @rjh3

Re-entering the DIY world via the flux capacitor of retirement. So, here, my fellow seekers of infinite theoretical perfection amidst a workbench (if not a world) marred by the harsh reality of persistent fallibility, I have questions for you all and @123Toid in particular (since he pulled me into this rabbit hole.)

@123Toid,
I saw your YouTube video, "How to Make a $3000 DIY HiFi Amplifier for $300," and think I can do this! 45-50 years ago I built Knight kits and Heathkits. And before that I soldered a tube transmitter from a schematic and parts list I found in an old post-WW2 electronics book. But that was a long time ago. Now gray-haired and retired, I would like to reclaim my youth, sort of.

So, your easy going (confidence-inspiring) video gave me courage! I do have a question, though. What pre-amp do you or anyone out there suggest for the amp? Is there a DIY pre-amp you would recommend? I read your positive review of the ARYLIC 2.1 and the tube feature looks great. But the specs showed a .02% distortion measurement. I would hope that was not typical. Please educate me and point me toward some pre-amps that would match well with the amp.

If things go well and I have not burned off my fingertips with the soldering iron, I am already looking longingly at building your JBL clones. From the review by Thomas & Stereo of the amp you built, it seems the historical "warm" sound of JBLs would be a good match to that class D amp.

Well, thanks so much for motivating me! (I just wish you were not wearing that Red Sox hat. I am a Tigers fan and you guys broke our hearts on the last day of the season in 1967, and then got beat by the Cardinals in the World Series. But, hey, you--@123Toid-- weren't even born then, so I can't be too angry at you, and the Boston area has been a mecca for HiFi innovation.)

First of all, I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner.  I saw this, was excited to respond, then life happened.  Somehow it got lost in the shuffle.  Having said that, I heard some of Shiit preamps this past weekend, and I would say they are top notch.  They may cost a little more though. I haven't personally DIY'd any preamps, so I would hate to recommend one. @tvor-ceasar may have or might have some more input on it. 

By the way, let me know if you build the Soundstage 15's.  I really love those for 2 channel stereo.  I no longer have a pair, but I am pretty sure I will build another pair in the future.  They are really great speakers. 

As for the Tigers, I actually really appreciate the Tigers and their fan base.  I typically wear my Red Sox hat, since I still  have one in good shape, but I grew up in IL rooting for the White Sox.  This was the Frank Thomas era.  He was so good, you couldn't love watching him. Having said that, I watched a lot of Tigers games because of that.  And to this day, I still really appreciate them.  I just wish Miggy aged a little better.  He was so fun to watch. But seems age and injuries finally caught up to him. Good luck this coming season.  I love Baseball in general, but I do hope the Tigers second best in the division...to the White Sox of course.  😀 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

@RJH3 Welcome!

Sorry as well for the delay in response. I've had a few things creep up on me as well and have been thinking about what to suggest. I personally don't have much experience with many of the separates out there, but have heard really good things about the Schiit brand, both in performance and price.

For homebuilt units, I've seen a few kits, but there are a few sites I look towards for guidance and schematics: ESP (Elliot Sound Products) and Red Free Circuit Designs. I have a few others, but these 2 cover a good bit of it. I especially like ESP for the much more in depth explanations that go along with the project(s).

Sounds like you have a year or two on me (lol), but I have been playing around with electronics since the 70's, and am now getting back into the fun of design of discreet low parts count stuff. One of these days I'll get to that Heathkit amp I picked up a few years back. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you dream up for future projects.

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote
RJH3
 RJH3
(@rjh3)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid, Thanks for the welcome. White Sox are okay with me. I'm still poking around on the 'net for some DIY stuff. Thanks.

ReplyQuote

RJH3
 RJH3
(@rjh3)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@tvor-ceasar, thanks for the welcome and the info. I will look into what you suggest. Hopefully, I will plug in the soldering iron and get to work soon. I will keep you (the Forum) in-forumed. Joe.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

Posted by: @rjh3

... I will keep you (the Forum) in-forumed. Joe.

Dad jokes are most welcomed. Lol 🙂

I'll keep my eyes appealed.

BTW, here's a dynamic mic preamp I had help developing in another forum. It's about 2/3 - 3/4 the way down the page. 

And here's another thread here with a small booster to help low output sources drive inputs that need "a bit more,"

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote

Share:
%d bloggers like this: