Forum

Peter Warren new me...

Peter Warren new member from Sydney  

RSS

pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
07/08/2019 6:47 am  

Hi audio peeps and Toid123. I've always had an interest in good sound. You can't beat being there but you can't always be there. I have a good budget home theatre system and a Logitech Z623 for the garage workshop. Recently I've been inspired to try DIY project. My challenge is to make the best possible system within a plastic milk crate. There are 30x30x30 cm or a cubic foot. I'd like bluetooth and rechargeable battery power. Happy to receive suggestions or share the challenge with others. Anyway just have some fun. Take care. Peter.

123Toid liked
LionelC
(@lionelc)
Active Member Registered
07/08/2019 10:14 am  

Welcome Peter, your milk crate challenge sounds fun. I have built a few ice chest boom boxes that fit into that realm and you might be pleasantly surprised at the amount and quality of sound you can get out of that amount of space. Good luck with your build.

LionelC

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
07/08/2019 10:43 am  

@pwarren3030 that sounds like an awesome project!  I typically recommend starting with a full-range driver and designing a simple baffle step circuit.  This will help you get your feet wet in designing a basic crossover (2 components) and help you focus on getting your box design correct and you electronics correct.  Then when you feel more comfortable step up to a more simple 2-way.  

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
07/08/2019 9:24 pm  

Welcome Pete! Happy to have another enthusiastic DIY'er in the fold. You can never have enough new ideas to chase down. 😊 

The "milk crate challenge" is going to be an evolutionary build the longer you stay in the hobby, as your criteria will undoubtedly change with the more you learn. That's actually a good thing, as you can track your growth with how much you improve over the original design. It's quite satisfying.

As for me, I could envision a Minecraft style Mickey Mouse "2.1" system, with maybe a 6.5" bass unit (.1) and a pair of outside corner mounted full range  (2) drivers with a 5-10 watt Class D all in 1 board. But that's my quick, off-the-cuff, thought.

Dig in!

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
08/08/2019 9:48 am  
Posted by: @tvor-ceasar

Welcome Pete! Happy to have another enthusiastic DIY'er in the fold. You can never have enough new ideas to chase down. 😊 

The "milk crate challenge" is going to be an evolutionary build the longer you stay in the hobby, as your criteria will undoubtedly change with the more you learn. That's actually a good thing, as you can track your growth with how much you improve over the original design. It's quite satisfying.

As for me, I could envision a Minecraft style Mickey Mouse "2.1" system, with maybe a 6.5" bass unit (.1) and a pair of outside corner mounted full range  (2) drivers with a 5-10 watt Class D all in 1 board. But that's my quick, off-the-cuff, thought.

Dig in!

As it happens, today's sale at PE( https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dma105-4-4-dual-magnet-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-590 ) has potential for the milk crate design. If all 3 share the space inside - obviously wired as L-R and Sub (2.1 natch!) and you use a 2" port 1.3" long, it models to a box/port frequency of 56 Hz and an F3 of 48.5 Hz. as full range drivers, they say 20kHz, but realistically somewhere in the mid teens. $13.33 /piece, not bad.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
02/09/2019 10:50 pm  

Dig in!

As it happens, today's sale at PE( https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dma105-4-4-dual-magnet-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-590 ) has potential for the milk crate design. If all 3 share the space inside - obviously wired as L-R and Sub (2.1 natch!) and you use a 2" port 1.3" long, it models to a box/port frequency of 56 Hz and an F3 of 48.5 Hz. as full range drivers, they say 20kHz, but realistically somewhere in the mid teens. $13.33 /piece, not bad.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm having a little trouble navigating around the app but I finally found my original post. I think I put another post somewhere asking reco's for horn tweeters for my milkcrate project.

Anyhow heres a quick update. I picked up a nice 6.5 inch VIFA P175J-00-08 mid woofer on sale as its a discontinued model.

Since I can't solder very well I ordered a small 2.1 bt amp. Its a Fosi Audio BT30C 2x50 plus 100W. with a 24v 6A power supply. Should do ok.

So internal dimensions of the woofer c280x280x180. Can anyone calculate what port size I should use?

Also ordered two horn tweeters on Banggood. Ill post details later cause I can't find them.

I'm making a video of the build. You can view the early version here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_0wqY-Z2GTFEGYa2ZinkV-LxCBaLlzQc/view?usp=drivesdk

I might make a seperate thread about this project if I can figure out how to do that.

So have fun with your projects.

Cheers... Peter

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
03/09/2019 12:07 am  

I did a search for that driver and was unable to find it. Do you have the T/S parameters for it? All I would need is the Fo/Fs, Vas and Qts. Also, do you have a minimum / maximum size port?

To anyone else, the crate, in CuFt is 0.49, if you need it converted. 14.112 liters.

Also, to start a new thread, go to the head of the forum you wish to post and click the "Add Topic" button. 

Forum Search can be found by scrolling down until you see the "Forum Search" box. 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
03/09/2019 7:58 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Thanks Charlie, 

fs = 41 hz

Vas= 33 litres

Qts= 0.35

theres no figure for Fo. Can you estimate that or derive it from something else?

Its a small box so I'm think of a port diameter of 32mm, pvc drain pipe or similar. Can join to bends inside to lengthen it. Next size up would be 40 then 50mm.

Thanks for the help. 

ReplyQuote

pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
03/09/2019 7:59 am  

Charlie btw I found it on the TYMPHANY website.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
03/09/2019 10:47 am  

Looking at the better 1/2 of a day on the road. I'll get back to you, probably in the evening here, tomorrow morning for you.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
03/09/2019 9:56 pm  

Okay, finally got the chance to run the numbers:

Box will be tuned to 54Hz

32mm D x 35mm L

40mm D x 54mm L

50mm D x 113mm L

Any of these will fit comfortably inside the box.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
04/09/2019 6:13 am  

Thanks so much Charlie. You are a champion. Think I'll go 32mm. Very happy with 54 hz. Cheers mate.

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
05/09/2019 10:20 am  

Forgot to mention that above, when I asked for Fo/Fs, they are both the same. Fo is the older notation that some manufacturers used to use, but now it is pretty much just denoted as Fs. At least this way you know what it means if you come across an old driver's spec sheet and it says Fo.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
12/09/2019 5:06 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Oh thanks Charlie. I haven't studied the Thiele Small parameters yet. Its on my to do list. haha. .If anyone else is reading this I haven't had any reco's for horn tweeters from my Lounge thread. Hope to hear soon.

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
12/09/2019 8:33 am  
Posted by: @pwarren3030

@tvor-ceasar

... If anyone else is reading this I haven't had any reco's for horn tweeters from my Lounge thread. Hope to hear soon.

Might want to give your post a bump. It has fallen below the "Most recent" posts and people won't see it unless they actually visit the main subject (The Lounge). 

Unfortunately, the last time I bought horns was back in the 80's and they were Piezo horns from Radio Shack, so.... 🙂

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register