Page 2 / 2
  RSS

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
01/12/2019 1:16 am  

Well, you did ask us to talk you down. I guess I wasn't persuasive enough. 😀

*Puts on best used car salesman voice*

Why didn't you say so in the first place?! 

I could see replacing the turntable and using the original equipment, but knowing the baffle is so easily replaceable makes this more of a game changer. Before I get into the baffle, let me make this one point.

If you are going to mount the new amplifier / receiver in the same way as the original, you'll want to think about adding forced cooling since the orientation changes the direction of airflow - pushing the heat back inside the case. If the fan creates electrical interference, you'll have more than enough room to create a duct that will allow you to move the fan away from the amp case, reducing the interference. 

Okay, to the baffles and speakers. If the plates give you a box size, go for it. If not, a solid sheet of 3/4 ply would probably work well enough sealed on the back. Remember the bracing to reduce unwanted resonance, if you go that way.  Also, you may want to tilt the baffle back a degree or more to better align the tweeter with the desired listening position. Don't forget to try to find a similar grill cloth to the original. 

There you go, blessing given. 🙂

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
DapperDanimal
(@dapperdanimal)
Active Member Registered
01/12/2019 1:44 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Amazing! Thank you guys for talking me through it all! 

I have pulled the trigger because the discount got even better last night! The tipping point came when a friend explained that if I didn’t like it I could always mount the in-walls into a wall and use it to create surround sound for my entertainment system. I mean how could I not!! I still reserve the right to design and build my own speakers in the future as my system inevitably gets bigger and better!

Also I will save the original drivers and if anyone needs them hit me up! If not maybe I can turn them into something! Or even reinstall them into the cabinet if I ever understand how to better use them in the future!

thank you gentlemen!! Your patience made this a great experience! I’ll post photos and report back when I get further along!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
01/12/2019 3:41 pm  

A point to consider if you were to mess around with the original speakers in the future, they are more likely than not, to be relatively low power. Most of those consoles were under 20 watts output, and with the tech of the time, they probably only hit 10 watts before they started to break up / distort. Even at that, these things were usually quite loud and pretty full range - deep bass, good mids, treble depended on unit hierarchy - the more you spent, the better it was.

Still, you may want to put a low power amp in there to put it back toward original, if and when the time comes.

"Cool man! A real swinger! What a hep cat!" Lol 

Let's hope you can enjoy this build soon. Would be one heck of a Christmas gift to the little lady and yourself. Go ahead, make a cocktail and get started. 🤘👍

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
01/12/2019 9:57 pm  

@dapperdanimal

Congratulations!  That's awesome! I don't think you'll need to put the soakers in a box, but you can experiment. Topical they are designed to be infinite baffle, ie, they don't need a box or could use a really big box.  I hope you share photos as you do this.  I got one would love to see that here.  Great DIY project. 

ReplyQuote

Page 2 / 2

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register