Forum

Vituix Cad v1, How ...

Vituix Cad v1, How accurate is this?  

RSS

Spencer Acoustics
(@spencer-acoustics)
Active Member Registered
12/10/2019 6:26 pm  

Hey guys. I've been trying different Dayton Audio RS speakers using Vituix and I'm not sure if the results are trustworthy. When I look at the spl graphs from Dayton, which are really flat, then I add a basic  crossover and suddenly those flat areas become a line of rolling hills with 5-6 db peaks and valleys all through out a large frequency band, sometimes 2-3000 width. Is it me?

RS150 mid
RS150 specs from Dayton

Any advice would help, this is my first attempt at designing my own crossover sooooooooo........

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
12/10/2019 7:06 pm  

I personally don't used Virtuix Cad, but I'd love to take a look and see what is going on. Can you give some more details? Box size, crossover, drivers using, etc? 

ReplyQuote

DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Trusted Member Registered
13/10/2019 3:41 am  

I use virtuix cad 2.0 and it seems accurate when comparing to my other crossover simulators.

There were problems with 1.0 so I recommend upgrading because 2.0 fully works! Here is the link: https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/VituixCAD/VituixCAD2_setup.exe

ReplyQuote
Spencer Acoustics
(@spencer-acoustics)
Active Member Registered
14/10/2019 3:13 pm  
Posted by: @123toid

I personally don't used Virtuix Cad, but I'd love to take a look and see what is going on. Can you give some more details? Box size, crossover, drivers using, etc? 

This is initial crossover design, prior to building a box. My speakers are not typical boxes, they look like guitars.  They are sealed enclosures.  I have a cnc so I have made the size of the enclosure for each driver to match exactly the Dayton Audio recommended size speaker enclosure. The current drivers are Beston RT001 ribbon tweeter, Dayton Audio RS125 mid, and Tang Band W6 sub. The speakers sound great using off the shelf crossovers but I want to build my own.

The drivers I'm having trouble modeling are the Dayton Audio RS125, RS150, RS180. All 3 have a very flat response curve (looking at the spec sheets) but all 3 look like bumpy roads when I try to use them as a mid in a 3 way design using this software.

Using Tang Band W6 as a sub and Beston RT001 ribbon tweeter. The tweeter is crossed at 3500 with a 3rd order butterworth, this value and 3rd order filter cannot be changed.  The W6 is crossed at 200 with a second order butterworth, it could move if needed. I don't have specific crossover points for the mid yet as I keep moving it around trying to get the best results.

I know you use a modeling software that I have tried out but I decided not to use it because it is not beginner friendly. If I already knew how to diagram a 3rd order filter, etc. without looking them up then that would be a different story. Maybe I should just make a chart of all the filter order designs and tape it to my  monitor.

Randy

ReplyQuote

Spencer Acoustics
(@spencer-acoustics)
Active Member Registered
14/10/2019 3:16 pm  

@diyaudiphileelliottbridge

I have 2.0 as well but it does not have the drop down menu for high/low filters like in 1.0 or maybe it does but I can't find it.

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register