Notifications
Clear all

before the DINAS build

fighterpanda
(@fighterpanda)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for the DINAS speaker plans and the detailed instructions. I am pretty new to DIY speakers and woodworking but enjoy your videos on YouTube. The videos give me the inspiration to make speakers!

I have a couple of questions before I start with the project...
1) What is the best way to connect the drivers to the amp? First, finish the surface of the speaker, attach the drivers to the speaker, and then connect the amp with the wires and then attach the amp to the back of the speaker?
2) If I want to connect the speakers to an iPhone, what is the best way? Connect "two male RCA to one female RCA end" cable for each speaker and then connect the two speakers with a "two RCA male to 3.5/lightning" cable?
3) Will dampening (wool) in the subwoofer and mid driver compartments make a difference? How much is good?

Thank you for your help and time.

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fighterpanda Good questions.  Let me see if I can answer them in a way that is easy to understand. 

1. There is no best way.  It really is up to you.  It is easier to solder the tweeter when the side is exposed (not glued all together, but it will make finish work harder.  Those wires on that tweeter are very thin and easy to break. It's harder to solder once complete, but easier to finish.  I would say, pick your poison here.  

2. I'll attach a diagram. but you could also use a Bluetooth adapter if you would rather wirelessly transmit to it. 

3.  Some people have lined the sub cavity and claims it helps.  I have not experimented with it, but would have my reservations about how much a difference it would make.  If it were me, I would try it as is and then see if you want to add any.  I don't think you will.  I have never put any in them. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

fighterpanda
(@fighterpanda)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you very much for the advice. Looking forward to starting working on the speakers when the amp gets back in stock at PE later next month. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
fighterpanda
(@fighterpanda)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Finally got the parts and the time to make the DINAS!

What gauge wire do you recommend for the wires inside the speaker? Do you use regular speaker wire?

16 is too big? 

Thank you 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fighterpanda

I almost always use 16ga, since I keep that on hand.  You could use smaller if you wanted to.  I wouldn't use anything bigger than 16ga.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: