Clear all

Crossover for Midrange  

RSS

Gerard
(@gerard)
Active Member Registered
24/01/2020 2:44 pm  

Hi 

This is my second post in this forum, and i would like to know your opinion's about hte mid Dayton. when i lsten the Dinas at high volume i see the mid displacement is huge. ( around 2mm) I'm asking if the crossover is not settled to low for this speaker?

Due to the difficulties to buy the Hivi tweeter in France, this has been replaced by the ND 20 Dayton.

Dinas 2

What to think about.

Thank's

Gerard

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
24/01/2020 2:57 pm  

What do you mean the mid displacement is huge?

ReplyQuote
Gerard
(@gerard)
Active Member Registered
24/01/2020 3:10 pm  

The RS 100 is using as a medium range, and i see when is working the membrane displacement are high, difficult to mesure but at least 2mm. Usually a midrange  membrane don't move like that.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
24/01/2020 3:20 pm  

@gerard

I understand what you are saying.  The midrange is crossed over around 100hz, so you will still be getting bass frequencies out of it, that you wouldn't in a typical three way speaker.  A typical three way crosses over at or around the baffle step of the woofer.;  But the Dinas, are designed for the woofer,r to act solely as a subwoofer, meaning the the midrange will crossover lower.  That is why you are seeing that speaker move a little more than you would on a typical three way.    Having said that, you can always take some Heavy Duty liquid nails and go around the inside of the mid enclosure if you are afraid that the midrange enclosure isn't sealed fully.  

ReplyQuote
Gerard
(@gerard)
Active Member Registered
24/01/2020 3:29 pm  

Than's for your answer, i'm not afraid about mid sealing, this has been done correctly. For sure the sub work as a sub, but i would like to know for example if we can try to cross the mid at 150 or 200 Hz just to avoid distorsion at high volume.

I'm probably wrong, don't hesitate to tell me.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
24/01/2020 5:52 pm  

@gerard

You really can't. If you did, it would leave a large gap in the response, which would not sound good.  You shouldn't be getting distortion in the mid-range, that speakers distortion is low in that area. Unless it is the amplifier, power supply or even the tweeter change.  The Tweeters crossover is only a first order. I've never messed with using that to see how it would alter the response and or distortion.  My first hypothesis would be that it is coming from the tweeter change and the distortion is actually more in the mid-range sound. 

ReplyQuote
Gerard
(@gerard)
Active Member Registered
25/01/2020 5:55 am  

Thank's for your analysis, i don't want to change anything, the Dinas work perfectly with incredible bass. this was just a question what i have when i saw the membrane displacement a high volume only.

This combo with the sub is gorgeous.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
25/01/2020 5:20 pm  

I got you. I'm just an analytical guy, so I sometimes like to try to get to the bottom of it. 😁

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: