Notifications

DINAS Amp noise  

RSS

cardinals1225
(@cardinals1225)
New Member Registered
27/01/2020 10:57 pm  

I am getting a whine out of both speakers - it oscillates- and occurs even if the rca cables are not attached.  The speaker volume knob increases and lowers the oscillation sound.  Seems to be only coming out of the midrange drivers on both speakers.  No change in the noise if I wiggle the power connector or plug the adapters into a different circuit.   I can feel the plug seat in the amp but there is some of the barrel still visible.  I used all parts recommended by 123Toid.  The sound quality of the DINAS are amazing.  Only issue is this noise because it's audible during silent parts of songs and is distracting. Has anyone experienced this or offer a solution?  I am certain everything is hooked up properly.  

Thanks,

Kevin

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/01/2020 2:43 am  

So as soon as you plug them in, it happens?  I will say, that it was recently brought to my attention that the supplier of the power supplies changed the tip, without any notification.  They changed from a 2.1x5.5 to a 2.5x5.5.  I can't say that is your problem, but it is something to look into.  You can get it exchanged for the right tip if that is an issue.  

Have you tried any other outlets to see if it goes away?  It is odd that it is happening to both speakers.  It definitely seems power related somehow. 

ReplyQuote
cardinals1225
(@cardinals1225)
New Member Registered
28/01/2020 8:56 pm  

@123toid

Yes it is occurring as soon as you plug them in (provided the amp volume is not in the lowest position).  I agree with you, its definitely electrical.  I have tried several other outlets thinking it might be a grounding problem, but it's happening with all of them.  Coming from the mids only.  I will measure the plugs with calipers and see if they are a little to big.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
30/01/2020 12:30 pm  

Could be either a power supply problem or actually in the signal path of the amp. Let us try to rule one out before the other.

Do you have another power supply you could use to temporarily try on the amp? Doesn't have to be the same exact one, just within the voltage range required. If the noise goes away, it is probably 99.9% the supply. If it stays, time to dig into the amp.

If you link to the amp, I'll look into it to see where something could go wrong. But first, make sure you have your power ground correct on the board and your inputs connected as per diagrams / schematics. You don't want a ground loop going on with any power supply, it causes all kinds of noise.

After that, I'll need the schematic or diagram to go further.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
cardinals1225
(@cardinals1225)
New Member Registered
05/02/2020 7:08 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

I think it was a ground loop.  I changed the tips on the power supplies to the size Toid123 stated they should be.  It stopped it provided I only had one power supply plugged in at a time.  I figured then it had to be a ground loop.  I isolated the ground and it fixed the issue.   I've since added a DAC and pre-amp and the noise has returned (but not as loud as it was originally).  Troubleshooted the RCA wiring and it seems to be caused from the output of one of the RCA's of the pre-amp.   I am going to order an RCA ground loop isolator and am confident that will again eliminate the noise.  

This is my first speaker build.  I'm amazed at how great these sound.  I'm afraid I'm hooked.  

Thanks everyone for the help.  

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/02/2020 3:07 am  

@cardinals1225 That is great to hear!  So glad you got it fixed and can enjoy your speakers.  The Dinas, really are a fun speaker.  I am so glad to hear you are enjoying them.  I like to say, they are speakers that really bring a smile to my face when I listen to them.  And for me, that is exactly what I want.  Keep us updated and stay active on the forum.  Maybe you'll evenwin this months giveaway of the Dayton DTA120bt

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: