Notifications
Clear all

Dinas Boombox Question - 90% Complete  

naq6886
(@naq6886)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I just wanted to post a couple of pics of my build. I am calling them 90% done b/c some of my crossover parts were backordered. Overall the sound is great and the bass is impressive! This boombox will be used in my fitness room, primarily hooked up to a Peloton bike.

One question for the group...how do you generally seal knobs, switches, and power jacks. The plans don't have a chamber to separate the amp and wiring from the subwoofer. I am getting noise out of the power switch and a little from around the amp knobs. I will plan on adding more silicone sealant around the DC jack, the power switch, and the 3.5mm jack but I can't really do anything about the amplifier knobs, right?

PXL 20201225 182601889
PXL 20201225 182617100

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Trusted Member Registered

@naq6886

WOW that looks very good, impressive build! Is that regular MDF you have spray painted? Looks nice and smooth.

I don't know if it is the "correct" way of doing things, but I use either hot glue or silicon sealant for the connections - silicon for the larger things, like around the drivers inside the box (if necessary) and hot glue for the smaller stuff, like knobs etc.

For example the DC 5.1x2.5 panel mount has a giant hole in it, generating a lot of noise on the beats - I use hot glue to build up a cap around it (put in the power jack, and build up slowly around the hole so it wont get flooded). The good thing is, that you can easily remove it again if you need to.

ReplyQuote

naq6886
(@naq6886)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback! It is MDF, primed with BIN and roller applied latex paint. 

I think most of the noise is from the power jack, like you said. I put one layer of silicon around it, but I think I need another. 

Next project with an integrated amp I will design an isolation chamber for the amp and external connections. Just run the speaker wires through a small hole I can easily seal with silicon!

kanaaudio liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@naq6886

It absolutely looks fantastic.  If tightening them real tight doesn't get rid of the leaks, you can add a small rubber seal or do as @kanaaudio said with either silicone sealant or hot glue.  Any of the above should work just fine. If you wanted to add a small enclosure about the size of the amplifier, you could do that as well.  It shouldn't be necessary, but if you wanted to, you could. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: