Notifications
Clear all

Dinas Boombox with passive radiator like the Voxel Sub?

Page 1 / 3

mundsen
(@mundsen)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi
I have purchased the plans for the Dinas, The Dinas BoomBox and the Voxel Sub passive radiator

My first plan was to start with the Voxel plans (have ordered the element and radiator and extend it to make a portable boombox - but it get a bit large if I only make extra "boxes" on each side for the full range elements.

Is it possible/hard to make plans for a boombox that uses the passive radiator for optimal quality? 

W

as hoping for a Dinas Boombox + 🙂

I`m going to use the Arylic up2Stream 2.1 amp

mount v1 v4

This is my first idea - the sub section have the same dimension as the Voxel sub - only centered the elements. But it gets a bit large doing it this way

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mundsen

Yes you could do that.  However, the passive radiator should be on the rear.  You should not have a passive radiator facing up or down.  Without the motor to support it, it will sag over time and change it's parameters. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

mundsen liked
ReplyQuote

mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  
ae07ce51 d75c 46b1 b194 799ec72fb041
mount v1 2021 Jun 05 05 41 17AM 000 CustomizedView47869848904
mount v1 2021 Jun 05 06 41 19AM 000 CustomizedView15703307888

Something like this then - the bass section is the same as the voxel, but moved to front and rear

Separate chambers for the Dayton elements - I plan to install the amplifier and batteries here

Should I optimize the volume for the RS100­4 elements or is this ok?

ReplyQuote
EthanEsrah
(@ethanesrah)
New Member Registered

Nice design 👍, looks similar to my version of the Dinas Boombox, also regarding the use of the passive radiator and the Up2Stream Amp 2.1 board. I'm not a acoustics design expert but just for a rough orientation, here are the volumes of my boombox:

• total inner volume including the compartments for the RS100-4: ~13L
  • total inner volume excluding the compartments for the RS100-4: ~10L
  • inner volume for one compartment: ~1.0L

Do you already have an idea on where to place the controls of the Amp 2.1 board? Any plans for a custom control panel?

When your finshed with the build, I would be very interested to hear how you tuned the passive radiator and the EQ of the Amp 2.1 board. Good luck.

Regards, Sven

mundsen liked
ReplyQuote

mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  

@ethanesrah
Hi - the subwoofer section is based on the Voxel Dina Subwoofer

https://toidsdiyaudio.com/product/voxel-passive-radiator-mini-subwoofer-plans/

Same volume.. only moved the element to the opposite side of the passive radiator - So I`m going to tune it like in the Voxel instruction and start from there

Not decided what volume to use for the rs100 (not using them for the bass) - The dina boombox have only a small volume for them.

Not decided where to place the controls for the amp -but some kind of custom panel

+ I`m going to include lipo batteries, charger..:

Dayton Audio LBB-5 5 x 26650 Lithium Battery Charger Board / Module

(LBB-5)

Dayton Audio LBB-5EB Expansion Board

(LBB-5EB)

Dayton Audio LBB-5CL Cable Package for LBB-5

(LBB-5CL)

I guess the amp in one side chamber and the charger and batteries in the other side

+ I`m going to use 18mm plates

ReplyQuote
mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  
Montert N 2021 Jun 06 03 00 05PM 000 CustomizedView21155976109
Montert N 2021 Jun 06 03 01 00PM 000 CustomizedView29871159983

My idea (for now)
This gives me two "boxes" for battery and amp installation

ReplyQuote

mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  
68b1da50 9262 45f2 aec7 b028c3f2fe75
Montert N 2021 Jun 06 05 26 26PM 000 CustomizedView10197586525

Adjusted the box volume for the Dayton elements so they are the same as in the Dinas BoomBox

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mundsen

That is perfect.  I actually am working on that exact design.  So you are right there. 

mundsen liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mundsen

You don't need much volume for the rs100.  I would stick with the same enclosure design and just add the passive radiator on the rear.  If you keep the volumes all the same and follow the tuning instructions on the passive radiator, it should tune it perfectly. Just don't install the port (still keep the same outside dimensions though).

mundsen liked
ReplyQuote
mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  

Great 🙂

The sub section have the same inside dimension as in the Voxel Passive Radiator Subwoofer Plans. The volume for the rs100 almost the same as in the plans for the dinas boombox.
The "free space" in the sides is perfect for the amp and batteries.. - I do not have to install anything in the subwoofer section that may mess up the tuning.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  

@123toid Hi - any progress with the design?

All the parts I need have arrived, so ready to start - but I would like to compare mine design with the one you make - would like it to be a bit smaller - mine is close to 50cm long

Do you have a design ready that I can buy/test?

I have to recalculate the dimensions.. Im going to use mm and 19mm quality birch plywood

ReplyQuote
mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  

do I get the same sound quality if i put the passive radiator in the front?

ReplyQuote

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Moderator

@mundsen I can't imagine having both the driver and the passive radiator on the front being a problem, as long as you have the baffle space and you don't mind losing boundary gain if you had planned on placing the speaker closer to the wall.

Oh, and if you increase baffle space, you'll have a larger panel which would likely be needed to be braced a bit more. This could prove to be quite difficult to do, due to both drivers being on that one panel. It might not prove to be an issue, just worth noting 👍

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ReplyQuote
mundsen
(@mundsen)
Topic starter  

Not driver and radiator in the front - I ment if the sound quality is the same if the driver is front and radiator rear or opposite

- but I have decided to go with my design as is

ReplyQuote

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Moderator

@mundsen Oh ok, if it's as-is, that's fine then. Looking forward to seeing the build 👍

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: