Notifications
Clear all

Dinas Build coming along and question about tweeter placement  

RSS

Martin
(@martin)
Active Member Registered
06/07/2020 3:30 am  

Hi, it's Martin here, long time lurker, new member. Last week I finally got around to build my set of DINAS (and In the process left my father wanting his own pair).

WhatsApp Image 2020 07 04 at 20.45.18
WhatsApp Image 2020 07 04 at 20.45.18 (1)

Here you can see their current state. Please ignore the cobbled together look, I worked with scrap leftover wood, but I've sealed every panel joint with some strong caulk so precious subwoofer moved air won't be going anywhere but through the port.

The sides, top and bottom are going to have some wood veneer applied, but I haven't still decided on what kind, I might go along with the light wood on the front and back or do a totally different thing.

You can also see some router slips in the ports (first time using a router), but that's going to be repaired soon.

I also tried to go a different route that Nick's proposal for the routing of the front baffle, but I couldn't make a better design with my available bits and creativity (mostly creativity), so halfway 45 degree chamfer it is.

Now on to the question about the tweeter:

Parts are starting to show up and I need to start thinking on wiring and mounting the tweetter. The building plans state that the base should be mounted 2" away from the front of the baffle. My front baffles ended being more like 3 / 4 " I'm correctly assuming that the 2" distance from the front of the baffle remains unchanged?

Regards,

Martin

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
07/07/2020 1:48 am  

@martin First of all, the look great!  I know you said it was your scraps...I wish my scrap pile looked that nice.  Not in a million years though.

Now to answer your question.  You would be correct the distance remains 2".  THis is jsut to keep the spacing of the mid the same with the tweeter.  Having said that, you will most likely want to drill the hole for the tweeter wire at an angle toward the back of the cabinent.  Otherwise, you might end in the mid cavity.  

I can't wait to see the end result! 

ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Active Member Registered
07/07/2020 4:02 am  

Of course these weren't fireplace grade scraps but build-something-nice grade scraps. Mi father is sometimes given leftovers and scraps from construction sites, so he has a nice stash of various materials. I could have even tried silestone enclosures, but the required routing bits alone would cost more than a complete set of speakers.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Active Member Registered
21/07/2020 4:34 am  

My build has been on a stall for a few days now.

After most of my parts arrived (I'm still waiting for RCA splitters and nicer screws for the drivers) I tested the enclosures for fitting and air leaks, and did all the internal wiring.

I was hoping to finish the enclosures in a week or so, but then s*** happened. It might not have been s*** but my lack of wood finishing knowledge, but it happened still.

Seems that I wasn't well instructed by the guy at the shop as to how correctly dye my pine front baffle (turns out i needed some kind of pore sealant for that particular type of wood), and ended up with an uneven, blotchy mess.

Not knowing if I would achieve a perfect finish, I decided to change perspective. I did a bit of sanding and dye to try to clean up the mess and assembled a speaker to see if I could go for a rough sunburst look, and It has been sitting here like this for more than a week.

IMG 20200721 095723

I didn't love it at first, but that sucker has been growing on me for the last days. And at this point I might just give it a clear coat, call it a day and be perfectly happy with it.

What do you guys think? Is it a legit piece of work or does its make-do nature show too much?

P.S. Can't comment much on overall sound quality, because of, you know, MONO, but I'd swear some of my fillings got shaken on the first test run, so I guess regarding the bass I'm covered. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/07/2020 11:11 am  

@martin

I really like the look.  It has that vintage worn look.  Typically with pine and other softwoods, a sanding sealer is necessary to prevent it from blotching. But in this case, it really worked.

In the future General Finishes sells this Borwn Mahogany Gel Stain, that looks fantasic on pine.  It also really prevents blotchiness without the need of a snading sealer.  General finishes is typically my go to. It is a little more expensive, but lasts a long time and the quality is top notch.

I can't wait to hear what you think of them when you get them both up and running.  JUst make sure you have your dentist on speed dial. 

ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Active Member Registered
22/07/2020 10:47 am  
IMG 20200722 143702

Boy do they sing!

I need to re-check the sealing of the internal wiring because the Daytons are getting some action even when they shouldn't, but otherwise I find them to be a respectable improvement from my class-D powered Delta PR-300 Vietas.

My expectations of low-to-mid volume listening with plenty of bass and dynamic range have been met (also, front port is a blessing in my cramped workspace), and I have the extra headroom to shake all the furniture (mine and the neighbour's) if I feel like it. As a side benefit I have gotten rid of the hiss produced by the poorly implementation of my former class-D amp paired with the high sensivity of my old Vietas. The DINAS? Flat black background.

To my ears, there wasn't much to gain (as in, I was perfectly happy) from my previous rig in terms of resolution, dynamic range and soundstage, and nothing has been lost, or so it seems without doing an A/B blind test which I don't have the hardware, time nor will to do.

If I had to define the DINAS with one word, it would be exciting, engaging or seductive. There's no blue-blood audiophile perfection here to be found, but plain listenting enjoyment and fun in a smallish package.

Once the cabinets are fully finished, off I am to relocate the DINAS (my current speaker supports won't do the trick, they shake my wall mounted monitor) and do a minimal room treatment to try and address some dips and booms here and there.

I'm also sketching out an attachable module to turn any of the two sepakers into a self-contained battery-powered bluetooth unit for outdoor funsies, but that's a story for another day.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/07/2020 8:50 pm  

So glad to hear that you are enjoying them.  I hope you neighbors enjoy them as well 🤣  I am really enjoying your Star Wars Mellinium Falcon.  That is pretty awesome!

Please keep me updated with your Dinas BT Outdoor unit.  That sounds like a party in a box for sure!  Thanks for sharing.  I think they came out great!

ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Active Member Registered
29/07/2020 4:57 am  

Just a final update with the completed DINAS.

I finally settled with a simple mahogany veneer for de sides, top and bottom. Touched it up with the same tint used on the baffles for coherence sake and finished the whole enclosure with three layers of matte varnish. I'll probably add some felt feet to them.

IMG 20200728 204148
IMG 20200728 204254
IMG 20200728 204402
IMG 20200728 204423
IMG 20200728 204608
IMG 20200728 204058

This whole build has been a thrilling ride for me. Even if the finished speakers ended up sounding and/or looking like crap, I got to build a project with my dad after nearly two decades, I got to learn how to work with wood and power tools, how to finish it (and the mistakes I made!), and as a bonus I ended up with a pair of awesome sounding and looking speakers.

Totally worth it, IMHO.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
31/07/2020 3:24 pm  

@martin

That is a great narrative.  It is so true that time spent with your father is time well worth the value.  My son (4) today actually wanted to help me fix some subfloor before I laid new flooring and my other son (2) wanted to help take out the old subfloor to the trailer.  I personally cherish that more than I ever would the house being finished.  I hope it is times like that they always remember.

As far as the speakers go...They look fantastic!  I am loving them!  So glad you are enjoying the sound as well. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: