So going to start the DINAS build soon. Probably in a week or so. Going to attempt the 2nd cut list where you router out the port hole. Just want to go over my general strategy for making them, before I start (very novice wood worker). Let me know if I'm talking crazy here.
I think my strategy is to start with a side glue the front, back, bottom, top, and then glue in the port, mid enclosure pieces, and then finally the last side piece.
When gluing the port, what is the best way to apply the clamp so it stays in place. Should I put the port pieces in, add a couple scrap 1/2 inch mdf pieces in the middle, and clamp that to the bottom piece, and then add another scrap on top and clamp the to the side piece (looking at page three in the plan document)? Hopefully that makes sense. Any strategies you guys have for the port glue up let me know, probably the piece I'm struggling with the most.
Should be interesting. Will post some pictures when they are done.
123Toid, enjoy the channel, can't wait to hear the dinas, should be a fun project.
@floydian99 You could do it that way, but I'll tell you how I do it. I typically glue the four sides and the rear first. Leaving jsut the front baffle. off. You will want a few 1/2" scrap pieces. Put them in the port (not near the glue) You can then clamp that in place. You could also do this without the back glued on (just the 4 sides glued together). That makes it a little easier to clamp it, but need to make sure you glue it square or you will ahve issues lining up the front and rear baffle. If you decide to glue the rear on, you will want to clamp down through the amplifier cutout (may need soem scrap pieces to get the height). You can glue in both ports at the same time. Once that is finished, I would glue the mid enclosures. Then the front.
Hopefully, that helps. I don't see any issues the way you want to do it either.
Actually your way makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the feedback. Will post some pictures once they are done.
Got them all built, decided to cut a couple 1/4 inch dados in the sides and cut the boards that make up the port a half inch bigger. Boards slid right into the dado slots. Unfortunately when finishing the speakers I put a clear coat on them that is just pealing off. Talk about a bummer. I'll never do that again. I'm hoping I can just remove the clear coat without having to strip everything. Fun Times.
First song I listen to was the The Record Company's "Life to Fix". They sounded incredible. Ton of fun, great design.
Thanks for your help, it was a great pandemic project.