Notifications
Clear all

Dinas Humming at Low Volume

Page 3 / 4

OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Eminent Member Registered

@tvor-ceasar @123toid 

Now that they're working properly and they're all tuned in the way I like them they sound fabulous. Thank you for helping me out on this one, guys. You took me from very discouraged to jamming in no time! 

Much love from northern Canada! 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone 

That is great too hear! Glad you're enjoying them! 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

hmcoyle
(@hmcoyle)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid and @tvor-ceasar Luckily DTK, the company that manufactures the power supply linked in the plans, contacted me a couple of days after I emailed them about the one power supply that failed on me. They sent me a new power supply. Everything works perfectly without any noise now. Thank you so much for your help with this.

Mike 

ReplyQuote
OpulentOne
(@opulentone)
Eminent Member Registered

The humming came back. I took a soldering iron to every speaker and it remained which means it's the power supply. Nothing worked and the DTK site now redirects to here:

https://dresstokillmagazine.com/dtk-men/

and it's not available on amazon canada anymore.

I cut one of the ground terminals off the power plug. The noise is gone. It kind of feels like cutting off your arm so it stops itching but at this point I just want the pain to end 😛

cotinus0 and 123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

@opulentone 

Holy mackerel, what a long strange trip you've been on with those supplies. Sheesh.

If the supplies are developing issues while in use, I'd be apt to start looking for a better replacement.

A while back, I had read an article on how foreign companies were setting up (a) store(s) in a country to get around some of the country bias and even some of the tariff/duty by saying the item(s) were already in that country and shipping within. Almost sounds like what was going on here. 

If you look on something like Alibaba or AliExpress, you'll see the exact same thing offered for sale , usually located near the origin of manufacture, and also from places that are "local" (in country) as well. Most times they will be the exact same description and picture.

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

cotinus0 liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@opulentone Wow, that is crazy.  You by far have had the biggest issue with these.  I plan to release a passive version of the Dinas soon. I'm just finishing up the crossover.  That way people can use whatever amplifier they want. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

cotinus0 and ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote

cotinus0
(@cotinus0)
Active Member Registered

@123toid So glad to hear that. Anxious to see this passive crossover. Thanks Toid

ReplyQuote
cotinus0
(@cotinus0)
Active Member Registered

Just bought these power supply ( s-150-24 ) with voltage adjustment. However I can't get the voltage lower than 22,3 V. Is it safe to use them with this reading since power requirement says: 15-22 VDC as per Part Express Power supply specifications. Thanks for your help

P1010043

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)

A simple way to reduce voltage in this type of situation is to put a power diode (rectifier) in line with the positive lead. That will drop about 0.7 volts, to which you can then adjust back up to what you need / want. What kind of current will you be drawing for max power?
A x V = W
That will let you know at which range of diodes to look.

Of course, that drop all depends on the actual forward voltage of the diode, which may vary between types and ratings, not to mention manufacturing tolerances, but that's a normal place to start.

-Charlie

cotinus0 liked
ReplyQuote
cotinus0
(@cotinus0)
Active Member Registered

Thank you so much. Will try this and let you know. Hace a nice day !

ReplyQuote

cotinus0
(@cotinus0)
Active Member Registered

I guess you mean a diode on the output line ( dc volt ). Sorry, I'm not that good in that matter.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)

@cotinus0 Yes, on the positive output line. Just remember to get one that is rated for more than your intended amperage draw. If you let us know what your amp's wattage is, we can help point you in the right direction. 👍 

-Charlie

cotinus0 liked
ReplyQuote

cotinus0
(@cotinus0)
Active Member Registered

@tvor-ceasar

@tvor-ceasar Thank you so much.  Your knowledge made my day !. This power supply specs : 24 V and 6.5 A with an rheostat so you can adjust the voltage +/- 10% but the lowest I could go was 22.29.  I'am going to use it to power the  Lepai LP210PA 2x30W + 60W 2.1 ( power requirement: 15 – 22 VDC ) but as per your suggestion, I used  a zener diode 6.2 V 1 watt ( the only diode I had handy ) and my voltage dropped to 21.71 V.  Fantastic !! Just wondering if the diode wattage is ok ( more or less wattage  ?? ) On the other power supply ( I bought 2 of these to feed my Dinas speakers ) the rheostat worked just fine.

Would resistors also had worked ? Thanks

again.

Sans DIODE
AVEC DIODE

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)

@cotinus0

You're welcome.

Looking at what you want to power, the Lepai is a 120 W total amplifier. Assuming 80% efficiency, that would mean that max usage would be 150 W. At 22 volts, you'd have to draw 6.82 amps to make that power. For testing purposes, your Zener is okay, but for actual long term use it would be much safer to change out for something a bit more stout. I'd say a rectifier diode of at least 35 - 50 V at anywhere from 8-10 Amps. I saw some 10Amp 1000V diodes on Amazon, 20 pcs for $5.99 US with free Prime delivery that would do very well. The idea with power components is to build in a safety factor so you don't overly stress that parts. It's ok to go over on ratings, but not the other way around, and don't run right at the limits. That's why so many things these days crap out so quickly, the Manu's don't leave enough buffer for longevity.

A resistor would have dropped some voltage, but would also have limited the current. Not what you want with Class D.

-Charlie

123Toid and cotinus0 liked
ReplyQuote

cotinus0
(@cotinus0)
Active Member Registered

@tvor-ceasar Will follow your precious advices, clarifications on resistor and link to get my rectifier.

Very helpful. Five stars. Salutations from St-Hubert ( Quebec )

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: