Notifications

DINAS Midrange Speaker Noise  

RSS

rspedersen
(@rspedersen)
New Member Registered
07/01/2020 4:19 pm  

I have happily completed my new DINAS. I used Mahogany for the front baffle and the rear and baltic birch ply for the sides and top. I am a little unhappy with the small noise that seems to be coming from the plate amp. It is a high pitched oscillating wining. When I move the power connector connected to the amp I can affect the sound. The power supplies were purchased on Amazon and were the recommended ones from the plans. I am thinking about soldering the power to the amp board to eliminate the connection at the rear of the speaker. Any thoughts about the noise would be appreciated.

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
07/01/2020 6:51 pm  

Something doesn't sound right. I wonder if the power supply manufacturer changed the end. Can you look to see if they sent you a 2.5 by 5.5 mm end or 2.1 by 5.5 mm end? If they change the end, that would create a loose connection.  the noise could be caused by that, or it could be something separate. But let's do one thing at a time.

ReplyQuote
rspedersen
(@rspedersen)
New Member Registered
08/01/2020 5:14 pm  

@123toid

I have no way to accurately measure the connector end except to say that I accurately measured the outside diameter of the barrel and it is 5.5 mm exactly. I did try another power supply (with lower voltage) and it seemed to fit the same way, loosely. It too made the suspicious noise. I think tonight I'll check to see if I have any different barrel connectors that fit better and see if they make any difference. Ultimately, if it is only the loose connection causing the problem, I will simply solder the power supply directly to the amp board. Thanks for your consideration. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
08/01/2020 5:19 pm  

I can't say if that is causing the sound.  That definitely is not normal.  However, I would replace the power supply.  It looks like they ended up switching it to a 2.5mm.  That is the internal dimension, which makes a loose connection.  I would send them back and replace them with these: https://amzn.to/37YlTHB   I'll go ahead and update the plans.  Thanks

ReplyQuote
rspedersen
(@rspedersen)
New Member Registered
09/01/2020 2:22 pm  

@123toid

Thanks for updating the plans. I noticed someone else that had a similar issue. I already ordered a different slightly more powerful (and more expensive) power supply from Parts Express.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: