Notifications
Clear all

Dinas Passive Crossover  

RSS

Jwilhelm
(@jwilhelm)
New Member Registered
02/02/2020 5:14 pm  

I'd like to build a pair of Dinas for on my test bench but I don't want to use the plate amp. I build and repair amplifiers regularly and my last pair of test speakers were destroyed when an amplifier went DC on me when I wasn't paying attention. Has anyone designed a complete passive crossover to work with the Dinas?

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
02/02/2020 11:06 pm  
Posted by: @jwilhelm

I'd like to build a pair of Dinas for on my test bench but I don't want to use the plate amp. I build and repair amplifiers regularly and my last pair of test speakers were destroyed when an amplifier went DC on me when I wasn't paying attention. Has anyone designed a complete passive crossover to work with the Dinas?

Great question. I am planning to build a pair, I just haven't had the time yet. I should be able to get to it this month though.

ReplyQuote
jkpayton
(@jkpayton)
New Member Registered
03/04/2020 1:34 pm  

@123toid

Have you built a passive crossover yet. I bought the plans but I can't source the plate amplifier anywhere. PE shows delivery mid may. I think i would like to go the passive route as well maybe using the amplifier you are using in the Dinas Boom box or I have several amps laying around I can use as well.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
03/04/2020 5:24 pm  

@jkpayton

I had no idea the amp was out. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to get started on a passive crossover for the dinas. I've been wanting to do that, I just haven't had time. I'm going to have to make some time the next couple weeks to get it done.

ReplyQuote
jkpayton
(@jkpayton)
New Member Registered
05/04/2020 11:36 am  

I was wondering if you have given any thought to Parts Express DSPB boards for the Dinas.

Rather than passive I am now thinking using DSPB-100, DSP-250, and the DSPB ICP1 units would work great as a replacement to the Lepai amplifier.

These could be configured 2.1 like you are currently doing or program as a 3 way active monitor.

Any thoughts or experience with these units.

If I went this route what crossover points are used currently with the Dinas?

Joel

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Active Member Registered
14/04/2020 8:20 pm  

I cannot promise they are exactly the same, but they can be bought from Aliexpress. The one that I have looks exactly like the one PE sells. Shipping is so slow PE may have them in stock before you would receive yours. They are cheaper direct from China though. Kinda like buying a lottery ticket.

Just search TPA3118. Don't forget the power supply.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
15/04/2020 12:06 am  

@jkpayton

I have.  In fact, I was working on something with that with the Sure boards (which are theDayton boards) before PE got them in.  But I haven't got a chance to finalize anything.

ReplyQuote
Damon20r
(@damon20r)
New Member Registered
01/07/2020 4:38 am  

I am currently considering buying the plans for the Dinas but I don't want or need the plate amp either. At least not for the first set I build.  I would also be interested in a passive crossover so I can use my regular amp.  That is the only thing holding me back from buying the plans and building them. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
01/07/2020 3:37 pm  

@damon20r

I am working on a passize crossover for the Dinas, but I am not there yet.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: