Notifications
Clear all

Dinas poor bass  

RSS

Mulletino
(@mulletino)
New Member Registered
20/04/2020 7:42 pm  

I completed a Dinas build a few weeks ago. Built using Baltic birch.  I’m having an issue with the bass respond and volume.  They sound great, but only on very low volume.  If I turn them up even slightly, I hear some rattling and chuffing. I did notice some air leaking from the tweeter on top and added silicone which fixed that. What else should I check, is there something I overlooked? Also, speakers have somewhere around 100hrs on them now so they should be broken in.  I may be hearing things, but the noise is getting worse as they break in. 

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
20/04/2020 7:44 pm  

That is definitely not normal. 1st feel around the entire enclosure and see if you feel air coming out. Also, feel on the back side of the plate amp. See if you get any air out of the RCA ports Or any other port.  What you're describing sounds like a pinhole air leak.

ReplyQuote
Mulletino
(@mulletino)
New Member Registered
20/04/2020 8:16 pm  

There is some air near the rcas and top left of the amp. What’s the best way to seal it? Silicone caulk? Also, would lining with dynamat help or hurt the build?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
20/04/2020 10:23 pm  

@mulletino

I had this issue with the last pair I built.  Take off the amplifier.  What was happening, in my case, is that the seal around the amplifier came loose and it was letting air out all the ports.  If yours also came loose, seal it back up.  I used CA glue, but you could probably use silicone (I've never tried silicone).  It appears that glue is letting loose on some of those Lepai amplifiers. 

Mulletino liked
ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered
21/04/2020 10:21 am  

I’ve used silicone,works fine, before but you really want to let it fully cure before you put any drivers in the enclosure. I also take a flashlight and go around the enclosure (with the lights out in the garage) to check for leaks before installing the drivers. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Speaker Toni
(@speaker-toni)
Active Member Registered
22/04/2020 10:17 am  

I know this issue, it happens to me all the time. 

Id also suggest finding out where the sound comes from first. Put on some music that makes the woofer move a lot of air and go around the enclosure to locate the leak. 

Apart from the plate amp being the reason for the problem it can also come from one of the drivers in rare cases. As far as I know the W5 woofer doesn't come with any sealing for mounting so there is a small chance that this might be the issue. 

Good luck finding and solving the problem! 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Mulletino
(@mulletino)
New Member Registered
26/04/2020 5:08 pm  

Just wanted to update the post, I bought the PE gasketing tape and went around everything. Not a single leak now! Dinas sounds incredible now! Thanks everyone for the help.

oneway and 123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
26/04/2020 5:11 pm  

@mulletino

That is excellent to hear! Thank you for helping us updated! I'm really happy to hear you are enjoying them!

Mulletino liked
ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: