Forum

Do you think these will be right for me?  

RSS

Dwillems26
(@dwillems26)
Active Member Registered
19/08/2019 1:59 pm  

I've always wanted to build a set of speakers, and these seem to be a good all around fit and use for what I want. There's a couple of compromises that I'll have to live with, but those are minimal, reasonable, and worth the trade off. 

I'm currently using a Samsung 2.1 soundbar for my living room TV, but I want better at a reasonably cheap price. My living room set up is not ideal whatsoever, very open space here. Living room, kitchen, and dining room is all 1 massive room, with a long hallway to the front door, 9' ceilings, and open stairwell to the second floor. 

We don't normally hardly even use the sub since the bass is over powering and the kids don't like it a lot, but we want something to fill the room better, with TV, movies, and we like to play music off it as well. (I do plan to install wifi or bluetooth into this). 

Guess my question is, what kind of setup, use, room do you feel like these will be good in? Do you think they'll be able to fill my room? I'm thinking they won't be ideal in my situation, but I'm certain they'll be better than my soundbar that probably has 2" (at most) drivers. Do you have a recommendation for a different setup? I really want to build my own, but I don't think I'd be good at designing them myself. Towers are out of the question too because of my children. 

bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Trusted Member Registered
19/08/2019 3:20 pm  

The Dinas will certainly be better than your soundbar. The one drawback for using these with movies is going to be the bass. These aren't going to fill a large room or extend as low as a good home theater sub. However, it sounds like bass extension isn't a problem. If you sit about 10ft or less from your TV and just want background music while sitting around in that section of the open space, they'll be more than sufficient for that use case. If you want music flowing throughout the open space, you'll probably want a different speaker. 

If you do want to use a receiver that can handle switching sources and future upgrades from 2 channel to 5 channel, you probably want to look at a passive bookshelf 2-way with a 5-6" woofer. You would use a separate subwoofer in those situations. Without a subwoofer, a pair of 2-way bookshelf speakers won't extend as low as the Dinas but may be a sufficient starting point for your current needs. When you have a subwoofer or if you start with one, the receiver settings could be used to easily turn down the subwoofer for when your kids watch TV. Going with a receiver/passive speaker route also allows for adding surround channels in the future that would enhance the sense of envelopment and even music levels around a large open area.

As with all audio decisions, there are all trade-offs. The Dinas will offer quality speakers at an affordable price with amplification built in. They will get moderately loud, but not large open space filling loud. The downside is future upgrades to surround and bass extension for when you want to watch a movie after the kids go to bed.

ReplyQuote

Dwillems26
(@dwillems26)
Active Member Registered
19/08/2019 6:46 pm  
Posted by: @bjaurelio

The Dinas will certainly be better than your soundbar. The one drawback for using these with movies is going to be the bass. These aren't going to fill a large room or extend as low as a good home theater sub. However, it sounds like bass extension isn't a problem. If you sit about 10ft or less from your TV and just want background music while sitting around in that section of the open space, they'll be more than sufficient for that use case. If you want music flowing throughout the open space, you'll probably want a different speaker. 

If you do want to use a receiver that can handle switching sources and future upgrades from 2 channel to 5 channel, you probably want to look at a passive bookshelf 2-way with a 5-6" woofer. You would use a separate subwoofer in those situations. Without a subwoofer, a pair of 2-way bookshelf speakers won't extend as low as the Dinas but may be a sufficient starting point for your current needs. When you have a subwoofer or if you start with one, the receiver settings could be used to easily turn down the subwoofer for when your kids watch TV. Going with a receiver/passive speaker route also allows for adding surround channels in the future that would enhance the sense of envelopment and even music levels around a large open area.

As with all audio decisions, there are all trade-offs. The Dinas will offer quality speakers at an affordable price with amplification built in. They will get moderately loud, but not large open space filling loud. The downside is future upgrades to surround and bass extension for when you want to watch a movie after the kids go to bed.

This is just what I needed to hear I think. I do realize that a good receiver and passive speaker set up would be ideal, but it's moe expensive than what I can afford or am willing to spend. I feel like I'm the audio phanatic in the house, but I don't know music or artists like the wife does. I just like good quality music. And to be honest, we listen to music through our echo dot in that area more than anything, including the soundbar, or the computer speakers. I'm almost tempted to build these as computer speakers solely to play music on. Our current sub is almost always set to -5, basically off. 

So I'm thinking, with my budget and wants/desire and current situation, this will be a good, if not best/easiest route for me. 

And when i have a better budget and better arrangement I will be able to move these somewhere like a den or kitchen, or even garage, and build a better stereo setup for my living space. 

Thank you BJ. I think you just talked me into this. Maybe I'm just fooling myself and want to hear these in person? Idk, but I'm going to do it lol. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Dwillems26
(@dwillems26)
Active Member Registered
19/08/2019 6:49 pm  

Of course... I'll just try them in my living area before devoting, and if the consensus is it's not going to work, then I'll be happy nonetheless with a fun build, learning experience, and quality product for a different room or use. 

ReplyQuote

bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Trusted Member Registered
19/08/2019 7:45 pm  

@dwillems26

These are excellent speakers to use as desktop monitors or at the garage workbench. If they are first used as a step up from a soundbar in the living room, it's still a nice step up in your current music/movie sound.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/08/2019 11:04 pm  

@dwillems26

I have stayed out of this as long as I can.  I am biased, but I have yet to play the Dinas for someone and them not be really impressed with them.  I know you said you may want to use them as computer monitors, well that is exactly how I am using mine now.  Although, that will change.  The great thing about this build, is it's a very easy build for someone first starting out and has a great visual presence.  Not to mention, I feel these are speakers that when you turn them on the first time, they can't help but bring a smile to your face.  It really is an impressive speaker for it's size.  

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register