Notifications
Clear all

DYNAS + DAC + Newie Questions  

RSS

mosterre
(@mosterre)
New Member Registered
30/04/2020 9:13 pm  

I am new in this DIY world, soon I will make my own DYNAS. I have some questions that I would like you to help me solve.

1. Is there any way to use only one power source for both speakers?

2. How can I connect them to the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus Dac With Preamplifier

3. Is it necessary to connect the two RCA cables at the input of each speaker or can I only connect the right RCA in one and the left RCA in the other?

ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Trusted Member Registered
02/05/2020 2:43 pm  

Hi @mosterre and welcome to the forum, let me see if I can help you out a little.

1: Short answer: No.  If you were to split the power of the speakers from one power source you would need a power supply that could handle double the amperage (10 amps) and I don't see those readily available, for a reasonable price.  I'm sure some could be found/made though.

2: you might want to check out this thread of how to connect to them to the BT receiver as it's similar, left to y adapter on left speaker, right to y adapter on right speaker:  https://toidsdiyaudio.com/community/postid/323/

3: The way the plate amp on these speakers works you will need the y adapter to hook up both the left and right inputs on each speaker.  This allows the amplifier to work at full power.

Hope this helps, if not, keep asking away.

ReplyQuote
mosterre
(@mosterre)
New Member Registered
02/05/2020 9:14 pm  

@imcokeman Thanks so much, it helped me a lot.

In the second question I was wondering if I can do this?

Sin título
 This can affect the sound quality?

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
03/05/2020 9:18 am  

I would use the RCA outs with splitters as the cables would be cheaper and your Dinas aren't going to take advantage of the balanced signal. 

Since the XLR jacks there are balanced it has opposite signals that I believe the cable you are showing would end up putting to left and right this would basically cancel the signals to the Dinas.  For systems with balanced inputs this would be used to reduce interference from the cables on long runs. 

ReplyQuote
mosterre
(@mosterre)
New Member Registered
03/05/2020 9:44 am  
  1. @imcokemanThanks again. 

ImCoKeMaN liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
05/05/2020 12:48 am  

@mosterre

You can use the XLR to RCA if you would like.  It would cut down on cables.  Just to make sure,t hat is just a preamp and not an amplifier, correct?  If it is an amplifier, don't hook it up, but it appears that it is just a preamp, which in that case would be fine. 

mosterre liked
ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
05/05/2020 5:09 pm  

@123toid  I trust you understand more than I do, but I'm really confused about this now. Like I don't know anything I thought I understood about balanced signals.  Or are you assuming the cable is only connecting pins 1 and 2 and grounding 3? my understanding would be that this would be wired like this:  

https://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-rca-2.html

If so would you change the pos/neg on the internal connections to adapt it, but then it could only be used that way right?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
05/05/2020 11:45 pm  

@imcokeman

The reason why this will work is that it is going to a mono signal.  Even thought the amplifier uses both a left and right rca, the speaker inside is only hooked up to one side.  But the amplifier itself has two chips, one to power the high end and the other to power the subwoofer.  The subwoofer portion is bridged, but needs an rca signal from both the  inputs to give it full power.  But if we wanted a stereo signal, this would be an unacceptable way to hook it up.  Does that help?

I don't see an issue with it, but maybe I am missing something.  In theory it should work.  It is just taking a balanced signal and making it unbalanced.

ImCoKeMaN liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
06/05/2020 12:47 am  

Balanced cables, hence balanced audio, is not the same as the single ended Phono (RCA) cable/ output input.

Balanced is actually the same signal on both the positive and negative lines of the + and - wires in that cable, except that the - line is 180° out of phase. When the signal goes back into the next stage, the negative line gets inverted - turned positive / another 180° - and combined into the original signal. What this does is gets rid of any noise that is picked up on the lines, since that noise would all be in the same phase on the wires, but then the noise on the negative wire gets inverted and cancels out he noise on the positive wire. That is the main advantage of balanced audio / cables.

Now, if you have to go from balanced to Phono (RCA), then the normal practice is to use the positive (+) wire from the balanced and then wiring both the negative (-) and Shield (Gnd) wires together. See this page for a wiring diagram, just substitute RCA for the Phone jack. After that, you would then split that into the 2 inputs for the individual Lepai amps.

This diagram is the one referenced in the link above. It'd be a shame if the link disappeared, so for posterity:

XLR to PHONE TS

Pin 1 is Shield/GND, Pin 2 is +, Pin 3 is -.

-Charlie

ImCoKeMaN liked
ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
06/05/2020 4:30 pm  
Posted by: @tvor-ceasar

... See this page for a wiring diagram, just substitute RCA for the Phone jack. After that, you would then split that into the 2 inputs for the individual Lepai amps..

This I get, if it was split after it was combined to a single unbalanced out. 

It seems it would be important to know how they are wired, the image I showed would put 180 out signals to left/right (yes I get it's one speaker still).  I guess it will work depending how it's bridged inside, and I trust you, but my head thinks that feels wrong at least. =)

No need to listen to me, as again I think both @123Toid and @tvor-ceasar have a lot more experience than I do, but my path would likely still be rca to rca splitter rather than XLR.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: