Clear all

Few Questions Before I Start My DINAS Build  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Scottua
(@scottua)
Active Member Registered
08/12/2019 4:22 pm  

And of course, now the tweeter is out of stock....

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
09/12/2019 6:00 am  

@scottua

Yeah that does stink.  Base off why people bought it, it was for the Dinas.  I went to order some the otehr day and they were out of stock.  I too was bummed. 

ReplyQuote
Scottua
(@scottua)
Active Member Registered
09/12/2019 6:28 am  

@123toid

I'm curious what it would take to add a little to the height to the baffle (without increasing internal volume) and use a traditional flush mount tweeter (P/N 297-416 for example) (sort of a mini-tower in a way). It wouldn't take much for me to design the box but I wouldn't have a clue how that would affect the sound quality/phasing/tuning or what else would have to change to accommodate that. Everything I've heard said about your design is overwhelmingly positive and I feel like of all the DIY speakers I could build, yours would be the best. And built is ALWAYS better than bought!

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
09/12/2019 10:24 pm  

@scottua

Honestly, it would take a whole redesign of the speaker.  The tn28 has a lot of great traits including moving it to get the time alignment.  Something that you can't easily do with a flush mount tweeter, without redesigning the crossover. 

Scottua liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
10/12/2019 2:30 pm  

@scottua

Funny thing I never really saw the TN28's go out of stock before.  Then I read why people were buying them.  Go figure. 

TN28

ReplyQuote
Scottua
(@scottua)
Active Member Registered
10/12/2019 3:06 pm  

@123toid

LOL, yeah. I saw that. Figured you'd have already known. It's a nice feeling when something you've created is well received. Congrats!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Luftfeder
(@luftfeder)
Active Member Registered
26/01/2020 11:38 am  

@123toid

Well I finally completed my DINAS build and I think they came out pretty great for my first speaker build in 40 years.

Used ¾ baltic birch, rounded over the top corners and then veneered it with one continuous piece of maple veneer. The front baffle is ¾ solid maple with ¾" solid cherry accent stripes. The speakers are flush mounted. The port is rounded over with 11/16" radius. The baffle is rounded over with 11/16" radius down past the mid-line of the woofer.

Left channel (single cherry stripe on left):

IMG 0038

Right channel (two cherry stripes on right):

IMG 0039

Both together with power supply and hooked to my iPhone:

IMG 0037

The power supply is mounted on cherry feet (which I need to finish - this was a last minute addition to my plans). I set the power supply to 21 volts.

Finding the 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC plug with heavy gage cable was hard but I found some.

I found spade connectors at the TE Connectivity site to use on the connections to the drivers. I also soldered them after crimping them (I cut off the plastic after crimping them on).

I sealed all the wire holes with urethane Gorilla Glue.

I gasket the woofer with that non-hardening calk stuff Parts Express sells. The full range and the amp already have sealing foam on them.

I got black phillips head screws from Parts Express too.

They sound good. BUT I'm not sure exactly how to set the cross over ... any suggestions? Right now I have it in the middle of the dial and did it somewhat by ear.

Transporting them is no easy task with all the exposed drivers.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: