Questions about DINAS box  

RSS

Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
New Member Registered
16/11/2019 9:41 am  

Hi. I saw the video of DINAS and I'm really interested to build it. Im new at DIY have some questions.

1. What kind of wood is in the flatpack? It mentions mdf but when i look at the face, it looks like real wood.
2. It mentions there are other wood options available (birch). Will the sound have a big difference if i use hard wood over mdf?
3. It says that only glue is used to build the box. Is that better than nails or screws? Can you add a link for the glue?
4. Does the flat pack include instructions to build the whole speaker?
5. Im from the Philippines and im trying to decide if it is better to have the box built here. Most homemade speakers here use marine 3/4 inch marine plywood. Is that good?

Thanks

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
16/11/2019 12:58 pm  
Posted by: @ken-sy

Hi. I saw the video of DINAS and I'm really interested to build it. Im new at DIY have some questions.

1. What kind of wood is in the flatpack? It mentions mdf but when i look at the face, it looks like real wood.
2. It mentions there are other wood options available (birch). Will the sound have a big difference if i use hard wood over mdf?
3. It says that only glue is used to build the box. Is that better than nails or screws? Can you add a link for the glue?
4. Does the flat pack include instructions to build the whole speaker?
5. Im from the Philippines and im trying to decide if it is better to have the box built here. Most homemade speakers here use marine 3/4 inch marine plywood. Is that good?

Thanks

Good questions.

1. The flat pack usually has a few options that include MDF or Birch ply with an assortment of different front baffles.  The ones I made for Joe were birch ply with Cherry front baffle. 
  2. If you use hard wood, no.  Soft wood, maybe.
  3. I always use this glue.  You could nail it or screw it if you wanted to.  It really isn't necessary, but won't hurt it if done properly.
  4. The instructions to build it are in the instructions.  The flat pack is pretty straight forward.  However, I am always willing to help anyone that gets confused.
  5. It would be better and cheaper to build the box there.  Marine grade ply is perfect for this project.  Just realize, I designed this around 1/2" stock, so your speaker will be 1/2" wider and taller if using 1/4" material.  Just keep the internal dimensions the same and you will be fine. 

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register