Questions about DINAS box  

RSS

Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
16/11/2019 9:41 am  

Hi. I saw the video of DINAS and I'm really interested to build it. Im new at DIY have some questions.

1. What kind of wood is in the flatpack? It mentions mdf but when i look at the face, it looks like real wood.
2. It mentions there are other wood options available (birch). Will the sound have a big difference if i use hard wood over mdf?
3. It says that only glue is used to build the box. Is that better than nails or screws? Can you add a link for the glue?
4. Does the flat pack include instructions to build the whole speaker?
5. Im from the Philippines and im trying to decide if it is better to have the box built here. Most homemade speakers here use marine 3/4 inch marine plywood. Is that good?

Thanks

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
16/11/2019 12:58 pm  
Posted by: @ken-sy

Hi. I saw the video of DINAS and I'm really interested to build it. Im new at DIY have some questions.

1. What kind of wood is in the flatpack? It mentions mdf but when i look at the face, it looks like real wood.
2. It mentions there are other wood options available (birch). Will the sound have a big difference if i use hard wood over mdf?
3. It says that only glue is used to build the box. Is that better than nails or screws? Can you add a link for the glue?
4. Does the flat pack include instructions to build the whole speaker?
5. Im from the Philippines and im trying to decide if it is better to have the box built here. Most homemade speakers here use marine 3/4 inch marine plywood. Is that good?

Thanks

Good questions.

1. The flat pack usually has a few options that include MDF or Birch ply with an assortment of different front baffles.  The ones I made for Joe were birch ply with Cherry front baffle. 
  2. If you use hard wood, no.  Soft wood, maybe.
  3. I always use this glue.  You could nail it or screw it if you wanted to.  It really isn't necessary, but won't hurt it if done properly.
  4. The instructions to build it are in the instructions.  The flat pack is pretty straight forward.  However, I am always willing to help anyone that gets confused.
  5. It would be better and cheaper to build the box there.  Marine grade ply is perfect for this project.  Just realize, I designed this around 1/2" stock, so your speaker will be 1/2" wider and taller if using 1/4" material.  Just keep the internal dimensions the same and you will be fine. 

ReplyQuote

Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
11/12/2019 8:33 am  

@123toid

Thank you. Sorry it took me some time to reply back. I had to do some research. It turns out that i could make the baffle look good by putting veneers on it. (We didnt have woodshop in school. Lol.) I do have some fup question. I would love to hear from you.

1. I notice that the mentioned power supply is just 19v. I saw one on amazon thats 24v. Are these better?
Fosi Audio
Power Adapter Supply for TPA3116 TDA7498 TDA7492 TAS5613 Class D Amplifier (24V 4.5A)
Specifications
* Input: 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
* Output: 24V 4.5A
* Output Power: 108W

2. Regarding screws, i notice that nobody uses them to build the boxes. Is it because it will damage the wood in the long run? The glue is not common to find in my country. So im deciding, if its that important to the quality, to import it from there. Also, Im might use marine ply so is that ok to use glue on (just like the mdf)? We also dont have the clamps locally that you use to hold while the glue dries. Hence my question about screws.

3. I had some office desks and cabinets made out of mdf from China. The desintegrate/crack over a few years especially at the edges. Is that normal with mdf or maybe because it was poor quality mdf? This is the cause of my hesitation to use mdf.

4. I noticed that there was no damping material mentioned. Is that recommended to add? If yes what thickness and where to put? I saw some being sold at Parts Express.

Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Sound Damping Foam with PSA 18" x 24"

5. Also, do you recommend putting rubber feet on the dinas? Will it rattle the table its on?

Thank you.

PS. So sad the tweeters are out of stock. Still waiting for them to be available. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
11/12/2019 4:56 pm  

@ken-sy

1. The amplifier the Dinas use is only rated up to 22v, so I wouldn't risk running a 24v.  The 19v gives you more than enough power.

2.  You will still want some type of adhesive even if you use screws.  There will be air leakage if you don't.  We have a few different types of glue.  There's normal wood glue.  There is a silicone based liquid nails glue (typically found at a contractor store) and there is an expanding glue called gorilla glue.  Any of these would work.  You can still screw it if you would like, but it really needs glue first.  Feel free to link to the glue you can get and I'll check it out.

3.  I am going to guess that wasn't MDF, but actually fiber board.  It is similar in some aspects, but much cheaper and wouldn't be good to make speakers out of. A good MDF, is very compact and will last a while.  You can also use a quality plywood if you would rather.

4.  I have never added any dampening material, but if you wanted to use some, you could try it.  Just don't block the port.  You can use what you posted or even a cheap bed topper. 

5.  It doesn't rattle on the tables, but I like rubber feet, just to the fact they won't scratch an surface if they are knocked into.

You're welcome.   Hopefully the tweeters will be in stock soon.

ReplyQuote

Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
12/12/2019 12:58 am  

@123toid

Thanks for the fast reply!😀

ReplyQuote
Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
13/12/2019 12:55 pm  

@123toid

Btw, i just saw one of your videos and you mentioned about a 1 dollar crossover for the tweeter. I cant find it in any of your list. Can you share the link? I want to build them with tweeters as you originally designed.

Thanks!😀

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
14/12/2019 12:39 am  

@ken-sy

It should be on the second page of the plans. 

ReplyQuote
Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
20/12/2019 5:22 pm  

@123toid

Hi. I have reading the plans. And made some realizations..

1. So there are 2 baffles.  The back is where the speakers are actually attached on to. The front is just like a cover for aesthetic purposes only. Did i get it right? I assume the front and back were attached together with Glue also? 

2. Regarding my earlier question if i am to use 1/2 acoustic-sound-damping-foam

a. I should put it on the inside left, right and ceiling of the box? I cant place it on the back since thats where the amp is located. So that makes 3 sides. Correct or is that overkill and will destroy the sound?

b. Should i also put some inside the smaller compartment for the fullrange speaker? Or it doesnt really matter so i shouldnt bother?

c. The damping foam from Parts Express are going to consume the space inside. Is it a bad idea because it will reduce the inner dimension?

Sorry if my questions sound stupid. Its my first build.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/12/2019 1:45 pm  
Posted by: @ken-sy

@123toid

Hi. I have reading the plans. And made some realizations..

1. So there are 2 baffles.  The back is where the speakers are actually attached on to. The front is just like a cover for aesthetic purposes only. Did i get it right? I assume the front and back were attached together with Glue also? 

2. Regarding my earlier question if i am to use 1/2 acoustic-sound-damping-foam

a. I should put it on the inside left, right and ceiling of the box? I cant place it on the back since thats where the amp is located. So that makes 3 sides. Correct or is that overkill and will destroy the sound?

b. Should i also put some inside the smaller compartment for the fullrange speaker? Or it doesnt really matter so i shouldnt bother?

c. The damping foam from Parts Express are going to consume the space inside. Is it a bad idea because it will reduce the inner dimension?

Sorry if my questions sound stupid. Its my first build.

Thanks.

1. There is a front in a rear baffle. The front baffle houses the subwoofer and the mid-range and the rear baffle houses the amplifier. So there's one on the front of the speaker and one on the back of the speaker. There is not to baffles on the front of the speaker.

2. Like I said, I've never used any foam l, but you're more than welcome to experiment if you'd like. Just make sure to keep the port unobstructed. The foam does not take away from your internal dimensions. You would leave those as is.  Since this is your first build though, I would just forget using foam .

No worries. They aren't stupid questions, you don't know until you ask. And you might as well ask the designer 😁

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register