Notifications
Clear all

Sealing the enclosure(s)  

Keith_Jones
(@keith_jones)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I think I have read through all of the posts, and repeatedly read the instructions, so I apologize if this has already been covered and I somehow missed it. I have my boxes almost all built. The next major step is to glue on the last side, but before I do I want to get the wiring inside the box for the Mid and the tweeter (since it looks like adding those after the box is done would be a pain). My question is about sealing the holes for the wires to the Mid and the Tweeter. I have a hole drilled in the beck of the smaller inner enclosure for the Mid and I am considering installing the wire and filling this hole with hot glue, but is this needed? I am also a bit concerned about the wire to the mid resting against the back of the driver (there is not much clearance in back of the mid driver) - will this cause a vibration noise? In the same vein, I have a hole drilled in the top of the box for the wires for the Tweeter. Should I seal this hole around the Tweeter wires (I guess it would have to be after the Tweeter is installed because of the way the wires go through the Tweeter mount), or will the mounting plate and base of the Tweeter seal that off?

Sorry if these are dumb questions or if they have been asked before, but I want to get things as right as I can before I go ahead with a step that feels like it will close off some of the options (i.e. gluing on the final side). Once I get the wiring in and the last side glued on then it is time to sand it all smooth and square before adding Cherry veneer. 

I have loved your plans and am enjoying this build, and hope to get it to turn out well. Hope you can give me advice for this next step.

Thank you!

Keith

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Keith,

Not dumb questions at all. I'm glad you are thinking of it. You can use hot glue to fill the holes. Also expanding gorlilla glue can work as well. But really any type of glue or silicone can work for this job. Definitely fill any holes.

As far as the wiring goes in the mid-range. I typically leave enough wire so that I can take the mid-range out if needed. I haven't had any issues with vibrating, but if you want to either hot glue the wires away from the magnet or put a handful of polyfill in there you could. 

I can't wait to see pictures when you're finished. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Keith_Jones
(@keith_jones)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for the very quick reply! I am pretty sure I can figure out sealing the Mid enclosure, but around the Tweeter has me baffled. Do you think there will be any need to remove the Tweeter later on? I am concerned that anything I do to fill that hole will also seal those wires and make the Tweeter permanent (not to mention the microscopic wires on the Tweeters). Maybe I am just worrying about it too much but any idea on what to do with those wires would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Keith

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@keith_jones

I would just use the same hot glue or whatever to glue on the inside of the box. If you ever need to you can still cut that glue out, but the likelihood that you're ever going to have to do anything with the tweeter is pretty unlikely. I would test it first if you could, with the capacitor in place. Before sealing everything. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: