Atmos Receiver Recommendations  

RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
05/06/2019 4:21 pm  

Alright guys, I am thinking of upgrading to an Atmos receiver for the channel.  I've been considering designing a few Atmos speakers, but need the amplifier first.  There are plenty of options, but I would like ti to have at least a 7 channel preout, so I can use external amplifiers.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
Reputable Member Registered
05/06/2019 4:47 pm  

I think I would avoid Onkyo ...

Seems to be a pretty common problem.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
05/06/2019 8:52 pm  

Thank you. It seems like Onkyo is always having issues. The only problem is that Onkyo now owns Denon, Marantz, and pioneer I believe.  I don't know how much they allow the other companies to create their own products, but it does have me worried. I typically love Marantz.

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
Eminent Member Registered
05/06/2019 10:46 pm  

I've always had good luck with Yamaha receivers. I still have one I bought at a pawn shop in the early 2000s still works great. My newer one is probably around 3 years old gets used every day. The one onkyo I had lasted maybe 2 years before it failed.. 

ReplyQuote

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
06/06/2019 12:34 am  
Posted by: 123Toid

Thank you. It seems like Onkyo is always having issues. The only problem is that Onkyo now owns Denon, Marantz, and pioneer I believe.  I don't know how much they allow the other companies to create their own products, but it does have me worried. I typically love Marantz.

I may stand to be corrected here but isn't it United Audio that's buying all these brands up?

It might be a good thing, but I doubt it... one can picture the day you make your choice and the salesmaker goes into a big warehouse attaches some stickers and brings out a totally generic amplifier for you. Not good.

I really miss the 70s and 80s when innovation was real and stuff could still be fixed....

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
LionelC
(@lionelc)
Active Member Registered
28/06/2019 2:08 pm  

I had Yamaha for years. Every one I ever had worked till the day I gave it away. 

This year I picked up a Marantz because my Yamaha that I had had been in use since 2006! It was just time for an upgrade. I picked up a Marantz SR6013. Not there top of the line, but kina mid level. It is a 9.2 receiver 9 channels driven and 2 unpowered height channels. RCA outputs for all channels if you want to use external amps. 

Even though I have not owned a receiver that was not a Yamaha in over 30 years (and loved them) the Marantz and the Audyssey are the best I have owned. More power than the Yamaha and much much better sound processing and ease of use.

Please keep in mind I am comparing this to a 12 or 13 year only Yamaha.

And I am still only running 5.1 with it so not pushing that 9 channel amp too hard. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
28/06/2019 4:52 pm  
Posted by: 123Toid

I doubt United Audio is going to do a lot of melding of products. It would be financially disastrous to have to retool everything when they can just carry on as is, introducing new lines in the future.

I've aways liked Marantz well enough. My friend swears by Emotiva. I know a few people who are pretty happy with Denon.

New product announcement ... Denonkymar x2020 ... 11 watts per channel, 19 channels, only $229.95  😆 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
29/06/2019 4:28 pm  
Posted by: LionelC

I had Yamaha for years. Every one I ever had worked till the day I gave it away. 

This year I picked up a Marantz because my Yamaha that I had had been in use since 2006! It was just time for an upgrade. I picked up a Marantz SR6013. Not there top of the line, but kina mid level. It is a 9.2 receiver 9 channels driven and 2 unpowered height channels. RCA outputs for all channels if you want to use external amps. 

Even though I have not owned a receiver that was not a Yamaha in over 30 years (and loved them) the Marantz and the Audyssey are the best I have owned. More power than the Yamaha and much much better sound processing and ease of use.

Please keep in mind I am comparing this to a 12 or 13 year only Yamaha.

And I am still only running 5.1 with it so not pushing that 9 channel amp too hard. 

Interestingly enough, I too upgraded to a Marantz not too long ago.  I ugraded froma  Pioneer elite to a Marantz.  I must say, I completely agree with your sentiment.  It is awesome!  I absolutely love it and audyssey.  Although, one thing I didn't like about the model I have, is there doesn't seem to be a way to manually tweak the eq after Audyssey does it.  That is one thing the Pioneer was really good at. 

ReplyQuote

ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Eminent Member Registered
25/11/2019 8:01 am  

@123toid

Did you ever pick your receiver?  With Black Friday coming I shouldn't be, but I'm looking and interested too.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Trusted Member Registered
02/12/2019 4:31 pm  

I upgraded to a Marantz last year as well (6012). I was actually looking at the comparable Denon, but the Marantz was less at the time. Denon and Marantz are very similar. The best part of audyssey is the new phone app that allows you to limit the frequency range to below the schroeder frequency for the room correction. I am a firm believer that room correction above the 200-250hz range makes your speakers sound worse. The only other products that offer similar frequency limiting the room correction are very expensive high-end receivers and pre-amps.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register