Audiophile or Audiophool?  

RSS

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
Estimable Member Registered
30/07/2019 10:20 am  

I ran across this the other day ... it's already 10 years old but still just as meaningful today as it was back then...

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/07/2019 5:53 pm  

I really don't mind if people want to spend a bunch of money on speaker wires, etc.  IF they feel they can hear a difference, go ahead.  However, I haven't personally ran into a time, where I have noticed any appreciable difference.  In fact, that is one of the reasons I made the video on how to make your own HiFi speaker wire.  I still like my wire to look  nice and be distinguished, plus I am known for doing a little DIY work 😉  

I would much rather do this and spend my leftover money on a better amplifier and or speaker drivers. 😀 

ReplyQuote

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
30/07/2019 6:41 pm  

@123toid

Absolutely. I used to put 16-2 lamp cord in techflex with banana plugs and sell it for $0.75 a foot. People got their custom made speaker wire and the bragging rights without getting ripped off. Personally I just hide the wires behind furniture or under the edge of the carpet...

What annoys me about this is that these shyster companies have convinced technically oblivious people to spend utterly ludicrous amounts of money on stuff that won't make the first bit of difference. One of their victims recently argued that "If I'm going to spend $10k on a system, it's only right that I should put a couple of grand into the wiring."  Really? How is that justified??? 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
31/07/2019 12:43 am  

@douglas-blake

I can understand the logic behind it.  The basic logic is, if you buy a Lamborghini you're not going to stick cheap gas in it.  A performance car, needs performance fuel.  So when you put that in terms of the people buying performance audio equipment, it logically makes sense to them.  Of course, if I wouldn't do it with my car, then logically I wouldn't do that to my audio equipment.  The same could be said for a house.  If you buy a 1 million dollar house, you probably aren't going to put builders grade anything in it.  You are going to get high quality stuff.  So inherently, it is built into us to think about products this way.  When in reality this way of thinking is flawed when we use it as an absolute. 

ReplyQuote

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
31/07/2019 8:12 am  

@123toid

That way of thinking is flawed in any case ....  You use the grade of gasoline the engine requires, the quality of cabinets that get the job done... and, in the audiophile case, the wiring that the connection calls for. 

It's been shown, time and again, that once you rise above the "crap line" (products so ridiculously cheap they can't be made properly) everything else is just wasting your money. 

Plus you should see some of the crap that is foisted off on these guys ... Cords and cables so stiff and so heavy they actually break the connectors on their equipment, RCA cables that are only grounded at one end, unshielded RCA cables, cables made from RF Coax, shielded and braided speaker wire, shielded USB cords with the shield not connected to anything, silly little battery boxes on cables ... and don't even get me started on the whole crystals and disks thing....

Perhaps the biggest rip off right now is power cords and power regenerators.  Here we see more pure bullshit than anything else. Once AC enters a device, it lasts until it hits the transformer or rectifiers... from there it's all regenerated DC power anyway.  I wonder how many of those who love their analog power supplies realize that the secondary of the power transformer is regenerated electricity with no direct connection to the mains. In switching supplies the bulk capacitors are storing a charge that decouples the supply from the AC mains and it is regenerating power in it's chopper circuit.  But somehow, magically, feeding in sterilized AC improves sound quality.

Like Dave Jones said... yes you will hear a difference (because you are expected and expecting to hear one) ... but your friends won't.  It's just so sad to see so many people so badly sucked in by these highly predatory companies.

ReplyQuote
JLN
 JLN
(@jln)
New Member Registered
06/08/2019 2:47 pm  

Snake oil.

ReplyQuote

Share: