Forum

Dayton Audio T652-Air  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
Reputable Member Registered
28/05/2019 11:23 pm  

Does anyone have experience with the Dayton T652-Air speakers... I'm thinking of getting a pair as a project set, to tamper with and improve.  I'm particularly interested in the crossover and quality of construction.

123Toid liked
Topic Tags
Zarkoff500
(@zarkoff500)
Active Member Registered
29/05/2019 7:44 pm  
Posted by: Douglas Blake

Does anyone have experience with the Dayton T652-Air speakers... I'm thinking of getting a pair as a project set, to tamper with and improve.  I'm particularly interested in the crossover and quality of construction.

I don't have direct experience with the T652/Air's, but I believe all of these come with a simple cap on the tweeter and the woofers are ran full range? I have used the B652 and though they were quite decent for the price. 

ReplyQuote

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
29/05/2019 11:29 pm  
Posted by: Zarkoff500
I don't have direct experience with the T652/Air's, but I believe all of these come with a simple cap on the tweeter and the woofers are ran full range? I have used the B652 and though they were quite decent for the price. 

Thanks for the reply.

I've messed with the old version B652s before... added a proper crossover, some batting and re-glued the internal joints just to play it safe.  They ended up being good little speakers.

I don't mind if the T652s are just a capacitor. I'll probably be building or modding a crossover for it anyway.

Mostly I'm concerned they are well enough made to not fall apart while I'm working on them. It's likely they will be stripped down and re-assembled multiple times.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/05/2019 10:34 am  

I only heard them playing some sample music at Parts Express.  So I don't really have any real experience with them.  My concern would be the crossover, even if modified.  a 6.5" woofer will typically have beaming issues after 2khz and that air tweeter states it should be crossed over by 3.5khz.  However, looking at it's response, it looks like a much higher would be best.  So I am thinking that, they may really only be good nearfield with an upgraded crossover. 

ReplyQuote

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
30/05/2019 10:41 am  

As   Zarkoff500 points out it is likely that it's just a capacitor, not a real crossover at all so those dual woofers are running full range which just can't be good... 

I appreciate the input on the beaming issue. Without a test chamber things like that can be very difficult to track down.

Somehow reworking a floor stander for near field listening is not quite what I had in mind... 😉 

Maybe I should give this a re-think.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/05/2019 9:10 pm  

You can literally ignore everything I said.  I was thinking of the bookshelf speaker not the tower.  I missed the whole T part of it.  Then I just realized they don't use the Dayton mini 8 AMT, but rather the AMT2-4.  That should be able to be crossed as low as 2500hz.  You should be fine.  I jsut confused a whole bunch of people, including myself.  Good thing it's not on some public forum....oh wait. 

ReplyQuote

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
30/05/2019 9:28 pm  
Posted by: 123Toid
 I jsut confused a whole bunch of people, including myself.  Good thing it's not on some public forum....oh wait

Hey stuff happens ... But I still think I should rethink my plans, don't you think?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
01/06/2019 12:15 am  

Might be a good idea.  But I also like to tinker, so that's a tough question to ask me. 

ReplyQuote

oneway
(@oneway)
Eminent Member Registered
01/06/2019 7:24 am  

I recently purchased 12 of the 6.5 drivers that are supposedly used in the t652. The specs on p.e. are lacking to say the least. Don't want to hi-jack the thread but since the t652 is the topic i was wondering if anyone tested these 6.5 buy-outs? I'm looking for more t/s parameters than what's on p.e. web site so I can properly model them.

ReplyQuote
Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
01/06/2019 9:10 am  
Posted by: oneway

I recently purchased 12 of the 6.5 drivers that are supposedly used in the t652. The specs on p.e. are lacking to say the least. Don't want to hi-jack the thread but since the t652 is the topic i was wondering if anyone tested these 6.5 buy-outs? I'm looking for more t/s parameters than what's on p.e. web site so I can properly model them.

Don't worry about hijacking in this case (maybe next time 😉 ) I would eventually want those specs too...

My overall plan was to rip them down, fix any structural issues in the casings which usually involves excessive amounts of glue and pre-cut braces... then play with a 2 1/2 way crossover for them.

I was thinking about having the both woofers on until about 250hz then use only one for mids up to about 2600hz and then letting the AMT take over.

Nothing too elaborate, maybe something like this...

Crossover

I would definitely appreciate any comments on the crossover design (it's been a while).

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
01/06/2019 12:48 pm  

Are they the same driver in the B652?  If they are, I can get you guys some specs.

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
01/06/2019 1:19 pm  

Are they the same driver in the B652?  If they are, I can get you guys some specs.

That's what I've read in the reviews on p.e. I believe it's the only 4ohm 6.5 buy out on the site. fs 52hz.   re 3.37   qms 2.99.   qes 1.4.   qts .95   vas .65 ft.   3.5mm xmax all they have for it.

ReplyQuote

Speaker Builder
(@speaker-builder)
01/06/2019 2:39 pm  
Posted by: oneway
That's what I've read in the reviews on p.e. 

Ummmm ... P.E. ... ???

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
01/06/2019 3:37 pm  

I think he is referring to Parts Express.  I have some B652's that I can take out and get some measurements for you guys.  I won't be able to do it today, but I should be able to do it within the next week.

ReplyQuote

oneway
(@oneway)
01/06/2019 4:23 pm  

I think he is referring to Parts Express.  I have some B652's that I can take out and get some measurements for you guys.  I won't be able to do it today, but I should be able to do it within the next week.

Yes parts express @ Douglas Blake.

That would be awesome 123. No need to hurry I'm working on my other project probably be 2 3 weeks b 4 I get to the p.e. speakers. There's just enough to get a response curve on bass box pro but not enough to get cone excursion.. I think if they would've added the cms or even the sd might of been enough for bbp to calculate the rest. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register