Notifications
Clear all

Looking for dac recommendations  

RSS

oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered
24/04/2020 7:47 pm  

As the title says looking for dac recommendations. It will only be used for tv to two channel pioneer receiver. This is for my brothers system I’ve been working on lately. 

I have another thread discussing the issue he is having with the one he bought for his new tv. I’m not sure what he got dac wise but it’s a cheap one. There’s no gain on his current dac and the signal is weak compared to where it was to with the old tv and his other source signals. I have no experience using dacs so I’m not sure what would be a good dac. I see a lot of the are also head phone amplifiers? I’m wondering if the volume knob would work like a gain or if that’s completely separate? 

Also the one he has is optical to rca  

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
25/04/2020 1:27 am  

Have you considered Shiit?  Their Modi and Sys combination might work for what he is trying to do. https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
25/04/2020 4:36 am  
Posted by: @123toid

Have you considered Shiit?  Their Modi and Sys combination might work for what he is trying to do. https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Yeah I was looking  at that one last night. Seen it has an output of 2v. Parts has a smsl that’s a little cheaper with 1.8v.  I had him take a picture of the one he had it’s a prozor didn’t see any model # and he said he couldn’t find one. I suspect I’d have a hard time finding specs for it anyway but it would be nice for comparison. He gave less than 20$ for it. 
he’s using a pro audio amp for the sub. It’s good when using other sources but pretty lack luster  through the dac. 

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
25/04/2020 6:45 am  
Posted by: @123toid

looking at the schiit a little closer I see the input is toslink spdif. Would that work with the standard optical output on the tv going into the toslink input on the dac?

ReplyQuote
LionelC
(@lionelc)
Eminent Member Registered
29/04/2020 2:51 pm  

My son uses a Topping D10 we got off Amazon for $84.16 and it is 2V out. But this is from PC to an amp.

In our spare bedroom we use this one:

Musou Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter with Fiber Cable (Search Amazon)

It is Toslink to RCA, but no adjustment, and not sure on output voltage. But works for our needs and is only like $13.00

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
30/04/2020 1:55 am  

@lionelc Thanks the topping is an option I’ll be adding to the list. 
edit: till I seen it only has a usb input that’s too bad. definitely looking for 2v or higher and not too expensive 

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: