The Power Of The Humble Clicker  

RSS

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
Estimable Member Registered
21/06/2019 1:42 pm  

This is a clicker... 

Clicker

Normally used for wrecking your dog's hearing obedience training, they are sold on Amazon in sets of 4 for about $8.00 (  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NTVXN2 ) ... but you can probably get them at Walmart and your local pet stores as well.   (The high end Audiophile version is available directly from me at $379.95 each, plus shipping and applicable taxes.)

But don't underestimate the power of the clicker. It can solve a lot of problems in ways that microphone/computer based room analysis never will. It will help reveal hidden echos and track down weird bounce effects in any room!

The secret is in the hyper complex waveform generated when you press the button. It is a very short burst of noise (as your spouse will surely agree) that is over before any reflection or echo happens. This lets you actually hear the echo or bounce in the room.

You can use it to find echos ... just position it an inch or two from any solid object, like a wall, and CLICK... if there is an echo from that location, you will hear it.  

You can use it to find reflections ... have a friend stand at your speaker location while you sit in your listening chair... CLICK ... if there are reflections, you will hear them.  

Simple and effective.

Use it to position your speakers or accoustic treatments for maximum effect... or to stop your dog from peeing on your Persian rug.

(Caution: Use sparingly and keep out of reach of children and cranky old people)

CAP
 CAP
(@cap)
Active Member Registered
21/06/2019 2:46 pm  

I use my mouth. Free.99 

Except I have to endure the looks in public places when I walk around making loud random noises. At least my kids do it too and they don't judge. 

Fucking stairwells, though, bro. They're so fun. 

ReplyQuote

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
Estimable Member Registered
21/06/2019 2:50 pm  
Posted by: CAP

I use my mouth. Free.99 

Except I have to endure the looks in public places when I walk around making loud random noises. At least my kids do it too and they don't judge. 

Fucking stairwells, though, bro. They're so fun. 

ROFL ... cheapskate.  I did the clicking tongue thing for a while with mediocre results... The clickers seem more able to reveal the bad spots, probably because they're a lot louder and really, they're not all THAT expensive.

Plus .. in a public place you can always yell out "Here Rover" to appease the confused bystanders.

ReplyQuote

Share: