Forum

Homebrew Software

Homebrew Software  

RSS

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
15/09/2019 1:07 am  

So this forum has really rekindled my interest in design of loudspeakers. In the years since I've started (a LONG time ago), I've learned a lot, done a lot, dreamed a lot. 

One of the things I've done is to take the information learned and translate it into BASIC. Yes, that old DOS beast that does weird and wonderful stuff . Everything has been text based so far, and I don't have any plans to incorporate graphics currently, but I would like to do a big redesign of all the small individual programs all into one. A new interface, easier jumps and edits, file IO, and plain .txt output that can be sent to any printer (I never really got into graphics). I also plan to build in more input to check the manufacturer's numbers, since many of the specs are mathematically derived from just a few parameters.

If you've seen some of the previous threads, you can see that the basics of my calcs are pretty much what WinISD puts out, so you can be sure of it's accuracy. 

What I would like from any of the members out there is for a .txt file from the other programs (WinISD, BassBox, etc.) that shows how they store the parameters for the drivers. Just the .txt file and a screenshot showing the order of the information.

I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one who would want to use it, but I thought I'd put it out there for freeware to the Forum. I'm an older user who remembers when there weren't any personal computers and having a calculator was a rare privilege. It's one of my few indulgences.

Thanks to all.

If there's enough interest, I could translate it into Excel. Of course, that'd be after I get the BASIC version complete.

-Charlie

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
Trusted Member Registered
02/10/2019 5:26 pm  

Hi Charlie, not sure if this will help but thought I would offer. Admitedly, I'm a "BassBox" guy, but not convinced it's as good as it gets when it comes to box modeling. Would like to see some comparisons, measured comparisons. If that's something you had in mind, I'd be glad to work with you on this. Bassbox has it's "Pro's", can't imagine a more user friendly program, but one of the "Con's" is it's not freeware. For some of the guys just getting into the hobby, freeware makes it easier to get started and leaves some extra cash in the pockets for other things.

You requested a text file, but BassBox doesn't show an option for exporting driver parameters that way (if it does, I'm not seeing it). There's a database with thousands of saved drivers, along with the ability to add new drivers and manufacturers. The order of hierarchy is Manufacturer first and all driver models belonging to that Manufacturer under that. The basic parameter screen looks like the one I've attached. You'll notice colored dots to the left of some of the parameters, (green, yellow, or red).  If one of the parameters is too far out of the norm, it will cause issues with others. Any time I've used DATs to get the basic driver parameters, everything else usually checks out once it's input into BassBox.  The attachment is of the SB Acoustics 4" ceramic woofer, model SB12CACS25-4.

SB12CACS25 04

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
05/10/2019 7:42 pm  

@kevin-kendrick

Hmm. Well, I'll just go along and see what I can do in this old-school venture. That screen shot should help. At least I have an idea how to approach it from that.

I have no problem sharing my work if it can help someone go into the hobby in an easier way. Yeah, it may need something like DOSBox to run, but that's free too. I do plan to have the results printed / saved to a standard ASCII text file that will have all the important info and maybe a "text graphic" showing a box with the dimensions on it.

WINISD is free too, I might download it to see how it works as well.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/10/2019 12:33 am  

@tvor-ceasar

I have had great success with WinISD.  In fact, it is still the only box modeling software I use.  In my experience, if your measurements are good, then you will get a fairly accurate response with winISD.  I have never used BassBox Pro, but I want to try it out sometime to see if it is actually worth the price difference.  I know, I have said for me the Omnimic made the price difference, but for most people it wouldn't be worth it.  I wonder if that would be the same with Bassbox pro...

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
06/10/2019 1:32 pm  

It seems WinISD is the homerun for box modeling when it comes to freeware, most of the guys I know in the hobby use it. When getting started, I decided to purchase BassBox after seeing all of Part's Express's recommended enclosure suggestions were done using it. Is it any better (or worse) than WinISD, not sure, have never heard anyone directly compare them. Think I'll download WinISD and play around with it some too, might be interesting. Good luck on the new software Charlie, I'll be following along to see how it works out for you. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
07/10/2019 8:03 pm  

How's this for an old school Splash Screen?

Speaker Designer Splash

I'm not sold on the name. It's a placeholder for the moment. I really would like to incorporate DOS and/or BAS into the name, but there are 2 programs that could be really confused with those particular TLAs.

Plus, I know it needs to come down at least one line and I really need to re-aquaint myself with the extended ASCII code, but you should hear the intro. Straight from the example. 😁

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
08/10/2019 12:05 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

It certainly has the "Old School" look Charlie. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
09/10/2019 11:43 pm  

Update - This time a video. Fairly happy with the Splash and now beginning the Driver Input area.

Yes, there's sound.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
12/10/2019 1:08 pm  

Less annoying Splash screen. Same as before, different audio. Sorry about the shaky camera, but it's handheld across a desk.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register