Nah, I'm one of the more senior members. I still write in Basic in the text mode. No real GoSub(s), rather, If/Then(s). It's a foible of mine that I am pretty much a linear thinker and that's the main reason I haven't been able to get away from the old stuff. Not that I haven't tried. I tried C, and a brief intro to Java, but no dice. I can write a HTML 3 compliant webpage... without the automated back end. 🙂
I have done some easy stuff in Excel, but who hasn't these days.
Still, the idea behind this side shoot is that with minimal input on a number pad, you can check things out in a big hurry. I can run a speaker in any of the 4 individual programs in about 10 seconds. Gathering everything together into 1 will bring all 4 of those evals down to a total of about 15 seconds (instead of 40+ seconds) with direct comparison in the same screen.
What you show is interesting, though. I'll have to study it a bit closer.
@tvor-ceasar - Yeah, time sure has flown on programming languages. And basic computer logic, if/then locutions, etc. My roommate in undergrad HATED Java. He now does graphic design.
And I do see the value of consolidation down to a quicker evaluation. Saving time is always a good thing.
My thought is basically scraping and data collection. Unlike the bot Jef wrote to find specific products, though, this would need to be more general, setup for each website that it will scrape data from, and it will also have to check that it has not already scraped and dumped the data to a text file.
From seeing how long it takes to gather the data from a page, then turn around and do data entry into cells, my first thought is to automate the process. That can greatly swell a driver database making it very user friendly for whichever program does it (WinISD, BassBox, etc.). It also could cost people a job (if a company like BassBox or SoundEasy is still having a person manually enter parameters for their databases). If done well enough, it also removes a bit of human error in data entry.
The next step after developing such a program is to then ask manufacturers to present their datasheets (like on dimensions) in a similar way so that it is easy to scrape. Some manufacturers, if it doesn't inconvenience them, will do it, some will not. But that is a different issue. LOL.
I just enjoy thinking about different ways things can be done.
Since I've passed the critical recuperation of my knee surgery, I've been working a lot more. This has been a seriously busy time, it's just nuts. I have the interface pretty much finalized. maybe 1 or 2 changes I might do, or not. Here's what it looks like at the moment.
The first input line, "Driver Information", I realize that the Port Diam is redundant, so it may go.
Under "Box Type Information", If you choose New (1), the Old Vol input will remain blank. then you'll need to put a minimum wall thickness, mainly to make sure the port is long enough. Then you'd fill in the rest.
If you choose Old (2), you'll put in your prospective box volume (imperial units / CuFt) and it'll figure the Q of the sealed box. Then you fill in the rest.
The results will print in the column area below each type:
Qcab, Fb, and Box Vol for sealed
Box Vol, Fb/Fp, F3, port length for Bass-Reflex (port listed at top)
Line Length, Line X-Sectional area, Main Box Volume (not including the line), weight of damping material for Transmission Line
Low and High Frequency cut-offs, Port size and length, Front Box and Rear Box volumes, Front box Fb, Port length for BandPass
Then under changes it'll take you to the appropriate area to change, allowing you to change a small amount of info to get new results all the quicker.
There's still some behavioral procedures I need to work out, but it is coming along. (might need to add "New" at the bottom. Yeah, probably)
Let me know your thoughts.