Emotiva: Shop Now

Icepower 200asc vs Smsl 300 amp  

RSS

Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
06/03/2020 4:55 am  

Hi 123toid, hello everybody,

I recently bought a Elac Unifi ub5 bookshelf because of reading lots of reviews about it as good entry level speakers. Im planning to use them as LR for my Hometheater. Im have a Denon 3500 reciever which isnt powerful but has audio out. I heard that the unifi are very inefficient and requires a lot of power for it to perform well. So now im thinking of getting either the Smsl 300 or building the Ice 200asc/ghent amp kit to power them. The pro of Smsl is its cheap $150 and ready to use. Con is its only 80watts/ max which i realistically should be setting volume at 50watts/channel to avoid blowing it up. So it may not be that big of a diff than my avr. For the Ice Power - pro is it suppose to sound really well with 200/watts per channel, realistically at 50% volume its 100watts clean power. Cons is its more expensive at $300 plus i have to build it myself.

I live in the philippines and i havent shipped the Unifi here yet. This means i havent heard any of these and is basing all info from reading and watching youtube. Im planning to consolidate whatever amp i buy with the Elacs to save on shipping cost.

Will appreciate any inputs and suggestions. Thank you.

Ps. Does the Icepower amp kit work with 220v?

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
09/03/2020 4:06 pm  

@ken-sy sorry I've been very sick, which is why I haven't been on the forum. Finally feeling better, yay. I don't think you'd have an issue with either the amplifiers with the elac. However if I was going to be using this with an AVR, I would definitely do the ice power kit. It can work off of either 220 or 110. There's a jumper that you need to set for the correct voltage. The great thing about the ice power, is it's just plug and play. There's no settings needed. The SMSL, has so many different settings and separate volume control that it would just get in the way

ReplyQuote

Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
09/03/2020 5:15 pm  

@123toid,

Thank you for your reply. I hope you get well soon. So many health problems now around the world. Always be careful. Prevention is better than cure. Btw,  I only learned about Smsl 300 and icepower because of your videos! Is that bad or good influence? Haha.  Also, my  shipment of parts for Dinas arrived already. Will send you pictures when i finish building them. 😀

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Ken Sy
(@ken-sy)
Active Member Registered
10/03/2020 5:47 pm  

@123toid

Hi again. Regarding the jumper to set the correct voltage to 220v, how do i do that? Is it just a matter of switching something or do i need to buy a certain part to set it? Can you send me a link to which part? 

Thanks

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
11/03/2020 4:40 am  

@ken-sy

I am sorry, I was mistaken.  I recently used the 500asp, where I had to set the jumper correctly.  The 200asc appears to accept either anything from 100v-240v.  I can't find anything in the documentation about switching it.  And the board itself indicates 100v-240v.  

ReplyQuote
beatmaniaboy
(@beatmaniaboy)
Active Member Registered
16/10/2020 2:47 pm  

I'd personally go for the ice!

I hope toid does a tutorial on sure amps or maybe theyre just not good. I know they're rated at 10% THD but if its rated for 500w it should do at least 200w of .1% THD!

ReplyQuote

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: