Forum

Milkcrate challenge

Milkcrate challenge  

RSS

pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
03/09/2019 8:39 am  

so i started this project. its not my first project. I used to muck around with diy stereo 40 something years ago. 

Anyhow Trawling youtube has reignited my interest. 

To make the best sound system that can be shoehorned into a 1 cubic foot plastic milkcrate. If you go to the Introduce Yourself forum New member Peter from Sydney you can get the gyst of how I've started.

There's even a link to the video I've started to record the project. Works on your google drive account.

Anyhow I need your help. I ordered 2 really cheap horn tweeters from Banggood. They claim up to 30khz and 100 watts. I expect they'll be loud and screechy with not much depth in the mid. Here's a link

https://banggood.app.link/xhH4l11iGZ

Seeking recos for good budget horn tweeters that will fit in a box 90x100x300 mm outside dimensions. They must ship to Australia. I'll keep you posted. Thanks ahead.

pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
16/09/2019 6:20 pm  

Just hoping to boost my query since no body replied.

Any recos for horn tweeters. ???????

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
16/09/2019 8:17 pm  

All I can say is that the piezo will work, but more than likely will be as you said, a bit on the shrill side. Most are in the 90+ dB range. I know the price is extremely attractive, but you might want to spend just a bit more and get something with a real diaphragm and driver coil. Some may still be excessive, but you'll find more often than not that the majority of them are much more detailed and easier on the ears.

I'd suggest looking at Parts Express to get an idea of what to look for, then scour other sites that would be a better buy for you. 

Like I said in your "About" thread, I haven't bought horns in many years, and those were cheap Radio Shack piezo horns. Wish I could be of more help. 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
Active Member Registered
17/09/2019 6:29 am  

Thanks Charlie, there's a lot of hype on youtube about Klipsch speakers with their horn tweeters. Probably key to their performance is a high quality driver behind the horn. Hoping someone can reco a good one.

ReplyQuote

bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Trusted Member Registered
23/09/2019 11:41 am  

@pwarren3030

You could try DIY Sound Group. I don't know if they deliver to Australia, but you will find commonly recommended compression drivers. I'm certain there has to be a source for the SEOS waveguides in Australia. I think Red Spade Audio is based in Australia, but it may only be articles. It's probably a good resource for finding local suppliers in Australia for compression drivers and waveguides. 

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register