Forum

My Home Media Cente...

My Home Media Center  

RSS

Phil G
(@phil-g)
Active Member Registered
25/09/2019 6:46 pm  

It feels a little strange posting this here for the only thing audio about this project is storage of my music collection and components.  However based on the response to my previous posts, there seems to be some interest in the topic.  So as long as Nick doesn't object, here's how I built my home media center.

cus366t

My inspiration photo from this website...  https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/customerspeakers.html    Lots of interesting stuff on this website. Scroll down  - you won't be disappointed!

IMG 2505
IMG 2506

I started with sketches and scaled drawings based on dimensions that looked proportional to the inspiration photo. 

IMG 2504

I selected a hardwood - Eastern Ash.  I spent a lot of time planning my cuts for optimal use of the darker colored wood.

IMG 2507

Ready to cut!

IMG 2508

Wood cut to the required lengths.

IMG 2509
IMG 2512

Framing and gluing one of the side sections.

IMG 2516

I left out a few steps.  Here are the side sections connected by the framework for the top.  I used half inch maple and quarter inch baltic birch plywood. 

IMG 2521

Attaching trim to the top section.  Finished with a 3/4 inch round over bit.  I later removed this trim and used the round over bit on the bottom edge also.  The after putting everything together again, I drag it outside and round off the mitered corners.

Next step is installing the half inch plywood top.  I know I took photos of this step but I can't find them so you'll have to use your imagination.  This should help:  The top was mounted with a water activated gorilla glue and clamped with almost every clamp I own.  You can't have too many clamps.

IMG 2524

Fun with Drawers!  Drawers were made using  6 inch wide drawer stock.  This has a pre-cut 1/4 inch notch to receive the drawer bottom.  It took an hour each to build and install drawers II, III and IV and FOUR HOURS to build and install drawer I.  Allow me to explain.  The center panel to which the drawer slides are mounted was somehow tweaked and while the other drawers operated fine, when drawer I was installed and fully closed, drawer III popped open.  Closing drawer III had the same effect on drawer I.  Comical, yes - but I had three hours of frustration ahead of me before I could see the humor.  The solution was shimming the drawer slide on the center panel by 3/16 inch.

IMG 2530
IMG 2527

Attaching the drawer fronts - another instance where you can't have too many clamps!  Drawer fronts were attached using Tite Bond and three screws from inside the drawers.  A little salt prevents the glue acting as a lubricant and the parts do not move when you tighten the clamps. 

IMG 0895

Project complete!  I tried multiple finishes on scrap wood and decided to use a blond dewaxed shellac. 

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
26/09/2019 1:23 am  

@Phil-G What a great project!  This is one of the reasons I love forums.  This is exactly the type of project that inspires me.  I still think it is funny about drawer 1 and 3.  I have had similar issues.  I now know for myself.  I just need to walk away for a while.  I am glad you can find the humor in it.  I am sure it was not humorous when it happened. I also need to applaud you on the wood layout.  That takes a lot of time and effort on your part.  And you can really see it in the finished project.

Thanks for sharing!

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
26/09/2019 9:53 am  

Looks great. Those speakers up top look a bit familiar too. 😉

Re: the drawers - all I could see in my mind is the 3 Stooges and their furniture trials and tribulations. At least it wasn't their plumbing! (Geez, am I dating myself?)

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register