Forum

Reference Books I'v...

Reference Books I've used.  

RSS

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
12/08/2019 2:10 am  

A couple of books that got me to where I am today in this hobby. All were at one time available at Radio Shack, as were most of the supplies needed (they had some nice drivers there!) to build almost everything. Now, to find my copies...

Weems   Speaker
RayAldenJosephDAppolito Speaker
GordonMcCombSpeaker

-Charlie

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
12/08/2019 10:46 am  

I have the one on the bottom.  Those are some throwbacks alright 😀 🤣 😆 

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
12/08/2019 10:57 am  

See, I told you guys I was old school! Lol

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
13/08/2019 8:15 pm  

The second one by Ray Alden is where I was introduced to Joseph D'Appolito. For those who don't know him, he (Joseph) is the man who fixed the problems with a certain design that, at the time, had been named after him, "D'Appolito". You know it as the MTM design.

Yeah, these books are where I got / verified all my Formulae to write the programs in QBasic. It sure beats  the dickens out of punching calculator keys and writing things down, although I could run a driver in just a couple of minutes when I was at my peak. 🙂 That included Sealed, Ported, Transmission Line and BandPass. One of these days I'll re-write and combine the programs and include more info / choices.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
14/08/2019 2:31 am  

@tvor-ceasar

It is hard now a days with the internet.  I do believe the newer generation can rely more on the internet and YouTube than books like the ones you showed.  They are great resources and well worth the read.  I'll get a resource post up sooner than later.  I am still working on moving which is slowing things down a little.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/08/2019 12:49 pm  

Whenever it goes up is fine. Right now day to day life and prep for the move takes precedence. 

As an "old school" guy, I find having these references around very handy, especially when they make you actually do everything by hand, step by step, so that you get a chance to really see how the processes interact and affect the outcome. That way, if something doesn't come out right, you have an inkling of where to look rather than getting frustrated and posting a question inmediately and being chastised for not having enough info to let those helping figure it out. It moves you away from the path of just being an end user.

As far as the internet goes, there is so much out there, but you still have to wade through all the quasi -information to get to the real stuff. That's why you should start out with known good sources and branch from there. I hope that I can help others follow good and exciting paths in this very enjoyable hobby.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

CAP
 CAP
(@cap)
Eminent Member Registered
14/08/2019 9:39 pm  

I'm planning on reading through books and distilling down the info into notebooks for personal reference. I saw that as good advice from a dude who used to work for the CIA and reads about a book a week. 

On the other hand, I recently got back into playing Minecraft, so like....I'm dumb for that. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
14/08/2019 10:21 pm  

@cap

You know what is interesting?  That is exactly how The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook was created.  Vance Dickason started writing down everything he was learning in a notebook.  In fact, the first edition, as I recall, was literally a notebook full of his notes and was really in no particular order.  It wasn't until it was revised many times, until we got we have today.

CAP liked
ReplyQuote

shrub0
(@shrub0)
29/08/2019 2:25 pm  

I also enjoyed David Weems other books, he had some good projects in them.

ReplyQuote
shrub0
(@shrub0)
30/08/2019 11:37 am  

Anyone build Ray Alden's dual 8" bandpass? I still dream to and scour ebay for those drivers. 

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
30/08/2019 5:47 pm  
Posted by: @shrub0

Anyone build Ray Alden's dual 8" bandpass? I still dream to and scour ebay for those drivers. 

No, but if you need the calcs for another driver, I've distilled them down into BASIC. I told you guys I was old school. 😀 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register