Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
Estimable Member Registered
08/08/2019 11:37 am  
Posted by: @123toid

@douglas-blake

I don't know of a setting like that.  However there is a setting to just block them from commenting on the channel.  I believe the person commenting does not know this has happened though.  So they can still see their comments, just no one else can. 

That appears to be what happened. In one sense I can't say I blame them, I was debunking a lot of Paul's crap ... My bullshit detector even got stuck in the maximum position for a while... 

bullshit

Seriously, the pure garbage and "snake oil" that passes for true in the audiophile world is just galling ... I mean really... $500 power cords?  Are they nuts???

ReplyQuote
bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Eminent Member Registered
08/08/2019 12:52 pm  

There's sadly a lot of snake-oil in the audio world. I still remember the first time someone told me about the different outrageously priced products that get sold and told me about 6moons: wooden knobs, little plastic dots to put on your windows, rocks to set around on end tables, etc. I'm no engineer and never went beyond high school physics or AP calculus in math and science. It's still patently obvious to me that none of those items will change the sound in your room. Whenever I hear someone talk about directional power or speaker cables, I want to ask if he even knows the definition of A/C.

ReplyQuote

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
08/08/2019 3:18 pm  

@bjaurelio

Actually those little buttons and crystals will change the sound of your room... as they vibrate and rattle against your table tops.  🙄

My all time favorite is the AudioQuest cables with the little battery boxes on them. I tore one of them down ($500 out the window) and discovered that inside the box was a AA battery, a small spring switch and an LED.  Pushing the switch turned on the LED... there was no other circuitry and no connection to the audio cable at all... but it substantially improved the openness and clarity of the system.... cough, cough... 

And then there's THIS  Right above it in the thread is the schematic for the same thing with a parts cost of about $20 for stereo.

It really is disgusting the way these predatory companies prey upon the technically oblivious.

ReplyQuote
Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
07/09/2019 8:00 am  

@bjaurelio

Whenever I hear someone talk about directional power or speaker cables, I want to ask if he even knows the definition of A/C.

You might be surprised how many don't. Even with all the nice toys we have these days technical ignorance is at an all time high. The most disturbing part is not that people don't know, it is that they don't even want to know.

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
07/09/2019 8:21 pm  
Posted by: @douglas-blake

You might be surprised how many don't. Even with all the nice toys we have these days technical ignorance is at an all time high. The most disturbing part is not that people don't know, it is that they don't even want to know.

That's because they read it on the internet. And you know what they say about things on the internet:

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
08/09/2019 12:36 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

OMG ... That commercial is right on point!  😯 

A recent incident with a friend's computer ... I sent him an email with some scheduling information for his upcoming home theatre project. At the bottom of the message GMail tacked on a small bar "Was this helpful?  Yes, No" ... He clicked the Yes button and was taken to a website that promptly infected his system with Ransomware. He got around it... but guess who got blamed....

He seemed horridly confused when I explained that he'd been tricked by a phoney advertisement.... Apparently he's been thinking this stuff is part of the messages for a long time.  No wonder he's always having computer problems.

People don't take the time to understand the tech they use every day. They want their computers to be toasters or maybe toaster ovens and apparently their phone should be smart enough that they have to be.  I feel genuinely sorry for them with all the havoc it brings to their lives.

ReplyQuote

Page 2 / 2

Share: