What would you like...

What would you like to see on the Channel?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Hawkcigar
(@hawkcigar)
New Member Registered
11/08/2019 10:55 am  

As someone who is new to this hobby, I really appreciated some of those early videos you did on wiring and connections, etc.  A couple that come to mind are the one where you built the little test amp by enclosing it in the case and then the one where you showed how to wire everything to put in a boombox and the wiring of led lights.  The crossover building videos are really good too.

I know some of this stuff is way elementary for a lot of guys but I do believe as your channel grows, there is value there as new people get on board.  Another future project might be a lesson in helping people learn to read schematics. I really appreciate all the information and the way it's presented.  It's been great to watch the progression of your channel and projects.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
11/08/2019 12:40 pm  

@hawkcigar

That is a good idea.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
Trusted Member Registered
12/08/2019 2:22 am  

@123toid

I wouldn’t mind a deeper look at crossovers. Your original crossover videos are what got me into this level of speaker building so more of that would be great!  Maybe more into what exactly different setups accomplish (like Zobels and L-Pads) and also other considerations like phase shifting, harmonics, inductance and impedance etc...  

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
richardbmw
(@richardbmw)
Active Member Registered
12/08/2019 4:16 am  

I would like to see your whole process on how you take the results from REW and how that influences your crossover design.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
12/08/2019 10:45 am  

@richardbmw

I am going to do this for you Richard.  It might have to wait until after the move.  But I will do a build from beginning to end to show what goes into the process.  Thanks for the great input.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
12/08/2019 10:49 am  

@lindelium18

I have a few on the list.  I'll try to get out.  I did recently do one on different ways to attenuate a tweeter.  Not sure if you saw it, but it might help with the Lpad. 

ReplyQuote

Dwillems26
(@dwillems26)
Active Member Registered
12/08/2019 1:46 pm  

If you are worried that people won't understand... then augment your reviews with a series of videos ... "Understanding Frequency Response", "Damping Factor Explained" etc so that the information is available to your viewers.  It's up to them to look and learn... 

I was going to recommend this myself. I like how you go down the middle at times, but most of the time I'm just lost. Yes I could go do research to get more  in depth, but sometimes I wish you would. So I'm suggesting making tutorial videos that go in depth with each step of the design and testing, then reference those in your description on other videos. I don't recommend going on depth for every video, or even for several videos in a row. You need to stay in the middle or less to keep views, but start throwing tutorials in there time to time. 

Secondly, for a quick easy video to make. You could do a review and comparison on past projects. Best budget build, most enjoyable build, best quality build. Stick to home theater or bookshelf speakers for the review unless there's another style you really enjoyed. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Eminent Member Registered
12/08/2019 3:54 pm  

When you do a full speaker build series, you should focus one video on how to take measurements. Include tweeter, woofer, both, and woofer nearfield with how to merge the woofer responses. A crossover simulation is only as good as the measurements given to the software.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
13/08/2019 12:25 am  
Posted by: @dwillems26

Secondly, for a quick easy video to make. You could do a review and comparison on past projects. Best budget build, most enjoyable build, best quality build. Stick to home theater or bookshelf speakers for the review unless there's another style you really enjoyed. 

Thanks for the great ideas.  THis is happening.  I am planning on starting to create a list of my favorite drivers as well.  That way people can see some of my favorite tweeters, subs, woofers, etc.

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
13/08/2019 2:13 am  

@123toid

I have seen that one and it was very informative and helpful. I guess the two parts (there are a lot more) I don’t know much about in terms of speaker and crossover design is impedance and phase shift. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
13/08/2019 2:48 am  

@lindelium18

I understand what you are talking about with phase shift, but what would you like to know about impedance?  What impedance should you shoot for?  What crossover parts affect impedance?  Is there a right or wrong impedance?  

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
13/08/2019 9:31 am  

Yes!  How does impedance effect response?  What does the “ideal” impedance curve look like?  And all the things you mentioned. 

ReplyQuote

bjaurelio
(@bjaurelio)
Eminent Member Registered
13/08/2019 3:21 pm  

Impedance does not affect the frequency response of a speaker. It does affect the watts of power needed from the amplifier for a specific voltage.

The only time impedance affects frequency response is when a speaker is driven by an amp with a high output impedance such as a tube amp. I was actually just reading about that this morning from Toole's book. Basically, the high output impedance of a tube amp plus the impedance of the speaker wire act as one side of a voltage divider against the speaker impedance causing small peaks in the frequency response at the speaker's impedance peaks. Where the impedance is at a normal level, the high resistance from the amplifier output impedance and speaker wire compared to the small resistance from the speaker impedance, you get a voltage divider that reduces the voltage (and loudness) of the speaker across most of the frequency range. Where the speaker's impedance is high, the higher resistance results in less voltage drop at those peaks causing the speaker to play louder at those frequencies. 

Of note, solid state amplifiers have very low output impedance and do not exhibit this behavior. They will drive your speakers with consistent voltage at all frequencies.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
14/08/2019 2:28 am  

@bjaurelio

This is a good point.  Typically tube amplifiers like a very linear impedance.  A lot of my speakers that I design, the impedance rises significantly post crossover.  These would not be speakers I would recommend to run on a tube amp.  They just wouldn't sound very good.  However, they sound great on any other amplifier.  😀 

ReplyQuote

Page 2 / 2

Share: