What’s ya listen’ w...

Notifications
Clear all

What’s ya listen’ with.

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I see a lot of interest in speaker building, but what are you using in your systems as far as equipment in your  listening caves. Amps, receivers, speakers, and brands. I’m sure there a wide variety.

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@2loud

I listen to about everything.  Right now in my main theater I am using Ice Powered amplifiers and running an Onkyo for my Atmos processing. I am using the THX clones as the main speakers there along with my subwoofer endtable.

In my secondary listening area, I am running a Marantz receiver to the Uglies and the Ugly Center.  For secondary bass, I am using Bass Shakers.  No rears in that theater yet.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

That’s sweet, I’m running Onkyo receivers as well. In my shop, 21 year old dynaudio home built monitors and a mid powered onkyo receiver, and Polk sub. In my near field listening area I’m running   Emotiva power, Kef Q300’s and Polk subs. In my ‘Cave’, I’m tearing the house apart with Onkyo, 7 channel, Polk large and center channel. NHT subs. Denon and Sony handles dics and media.If I could only get my son out of their.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@2loud

Nice setup!  THis is actually my first Onkyo.  I have used quite a few different brands, up to this point.  However, this one sounds the best out of all of them.  Of course, it is also the newest, so...thee might be something there as well.  But so far, I am really loving it. 

ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I always wanted to try Marantz receivers. I knew they had monster receivers with Hugh power in several models, but you had to have oak stands or cabinets to support them, or put them on the floor like a lot of them did. Keep rolling out your projects, there is a lot more available these days. I’m glad ‘ Walsh’ in coming back. They were the best sounding speakers I ever listened to.’ Keep up the good information, there’s a lot to be learned.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Eminent Member Registered

I've been on a donwgrade spiral for a while, mainly space restraints and toddler driven.

For movie watching nowadays I'm relying on my trusty Onlyo TX-505 receiver and an old set of JBL 5.1 speakers. I'm a sucker for national product (Spain) so I used to have a cobbled together VIETA HT set consisting on 2 L'andante fronts with Delta PR-300 for surrounds and a single Delta PR-70 for the center channel. Didn't feel like adding a subwoofer for that setup. They all live happily at my dad's as of today.

Funny thing? I have been gathering all those speakers for almost nothing, I got the 300s at a thrift store for 25€, the 70s as payment for helping in a move, and picked up the L'andantes by a rubble container in an industrial park.

As for the rest of the house, the DINAS take care of my office, and I have cheap class d bluetooth amps connected to even cheaper single speakers scattered thorugh my house.

For my current listening needs and aspirations, class D is a no-return path. In the past I've had some nice TEAC, Sony and Vieta stereo amplifiers, but I just can't bear with the size, weigh, heat and power draw anymore. I wish mainstream manufacturers started filling the shelves with class D HT receivers.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Nice, the good thing is that there is a continuous cycle of audio equipment around to buy when a lot of people have to upgrade there systems. Trying to match speakers and amps a lot of the time is trial and error. As long as your happy with your system, that’s all that counts. 🙂

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@2loud

Marantz were killer back in the day.  I have not been not as impressed with the more recent ones I have used.  I still use the Marantz upstairs, but I would have no problem replacing it.  

ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Although when you have amps with low ‘thd’ ratings, that not always telling you that they’re going to be the best. Class ‘AB’, ‘D’ or even tube type with 1plus thd. We’re back to you speakers high end capabilities, and how they sound... maybe you could do a comparison test project in the future on ‘ribbon, ceramic, soft dome, and ring tweeters and share your results with everyone.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@2loud

That is an interesting idea. I was going to go ahead and do some Tweeter shootouts. Just show you what they're good at with their bad at and what might be the best value depending on application.

ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Great idea for a snowy day in 2021. I’m sure you’l cover this idea to the max. Will be surprised of .your tests and listening uncover the best

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@2loud

That is what I am hoping for.  I have been thinking aobut maybe doing some waveguide tests as well.  Not sure though

ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Even better. They’re a little more finicky. But normally highly effient. Reflections within flange around resonence frequency is only problems you might run in to. Yeah, I’m lik’n this project already.🙂

ReplyQuote
CAP
 CAP
(@cap)
Eminent Member Registered

I just grab stuff that doesn't look like garbage from the thrift store. I have a pair of old Pioneer (I think) MTM towers and whatever receiver that looked solid. The receiver says it's a class H amplifier which is supposedly a modified A/B. It runs warm and drives the speakers crazy well. Past 1/4 up is too loud. 

In my office I have multiple pairs of studio monitors, most notably my Focal CMS 65s and CMS sub, but I typically don't use the sub due to the small space in my room. 

ReplyQuote

Share:
%d bloggers like this: