• Audience 212 Build Log

123toid updated 2 months, 1 week ago 13 Members · 97 Replies
  • schurter

March 30, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Can a depth of 11″ work ,

4cuft box , just adjust the hight ?

• McHockey

March 30, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Why am I not surprised to see you here 🤣🤣. These would look and sound amazing in your room!!

• 123toid

Administrator
      March 30, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Assuming a double front baffle, I don’t see that as an issue. Just keep in mind you may not be able to get any bracing below the compression driver )I also don’t see any issue with this. But if you did want to brace it there, I would suggest two horizontal braces far enough off center it would allow the compression driver to sit in between them.

Audience 212 Build Log

• Norb

March 30, 2022 at 6:23 pm

Crazy question here. If I only want an f3 of 180hz, what would be the recommended box size? Sealed.

• 123toid

Administrator
      March 30, 2022 at 10:31 pm

@Norb there is nothing silly about that questions. I agree with @tvor-ceasar that you are better off going with something like a 2.6 cubic foot or bigger box sealed. That will give you an F3 closer to 92 in room. However you can either use a digital or physical crossover to cross it at 180Hz.

• schurter

March 30, 2022 at 6:40 pm

180hz ???

4cuft sealed will be about 80/100hz

• tvor-ceasar

March 30, 2022 at 8:51 pm

@Norb If you really must know, using the specified drivers, a sealed box around 0.325 Cu.Ft. will get you really close to 180Hz. The Q will be ~1.4, not the greatest for SQ. You’d be better off building a bigger box, lowering the Q and then using a crossover – passive or active – to get to the desired F3. Yes, it’d be much smaller, but It would be a serious challenge to get the required volume (that low) with all the driver/horn depth requirements. Plus you’d then need to put them on something to get the tweeter up to ear height.

Just thinking in the practical realm. If you want to join me in my Don Quixote escapades, then by all means go for it. You always learn best by doing. 😁👍

• schurter

March 31, 2022 at 8:33 am

Another question lol,

Front baffle 14″

2nd baffle 16″ , would 3/4″ shim have a effect on the drivers ,

Or is there a spec, just looking for options to build the box

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  schurter.
    • 123toid

Administrator
      March 31, 2022 at 12:24 pm

I am not sure I understand the question. Sorry. It might be since I am working off a few hours of sleep. But can you clarify?

• schurter

March 31, 2022 at 12:40 pm

I believe you side the box needs to be 14″ wide to keep the speakers happy ,

Can the 2nd baffle be wider ,

• schurter

March 31, 2022 at 12:45 pm

Like this, a stepped front baffle , but the 2nd would be 16″ wide vs 14″ so I can add more box volume

• 123toid

Administrator
      March 31, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I understand now. You can do something like that if you want. It won’t hurt it if you just want to make it 16″ either. A few minor things will change (mainly diffraction and baffle step), but nothing that your room eq won’t take care of. Baffle step would only change by around 40hz and that would be a very minimal change in that region (maybe 1db).So that will be up to you. BUt I think if you did a nice 1″ chamfer it would look really nice.

• schurter

April 1, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Another question

Did you use a 2nd or 3rd order BW

Dayton Audio 1.5mH 18 AWG Laminated Iron Core Inductor Crossover Coil is not in stock

Is There another option?

• schurter

April 1, 2022 at 7:57 pm
  • remy-alexander

April 2, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Mad at you….been wanting something like this and I gave up waiting and built 6’s and the 10s now ya come out with these…Wifes going to kill me.

• schurter

April 3, 2022 at 8:51 am

Build Thread started !!!

• pdube

April 8, 2022 at 1:53 pm

I bought the plans today. I understand that it’s pretty new but I’d wish to have more layouts diagrams for the cutouts. I’ll certainly manage but I’ll have to triple check everything.

Also there is no diagram for the speakon connector on the back. Maybe it does not matter too much but I think those little details are missing.

• 123toid

Administrator
      April 8, 2022 at 2:20 pm

I’ll email you later about your other concerns. But as far as to speak on connector goes it can really go anywhere as long as it’s not in the way of a brace. I placed mine behind the compression driver because that’s where I placed the crossover. What if so if you have a specific spot where you want to place the crossover, I would put it near that location.

• pdube

April 13, 2022 at 2:35 pm

What about power handling?

I noticed one component is rated for max 250W. What if I had planned to use 500W amplifiers? Is there a risk that I blow the speakers or the crossover?

• 123toid

Administrator
      April 13, 2022 at 4:05 pm

That is dependant on a lot of things. But a 500w amplifier in a room setting should never come close to outputting 500w. These speakers are around 99db Efficient, which means you need very little power at all to make them very loud. Having said that I designed them around the assumption that most people wouldn’t be giving these around 300w. They are capable of up to 800w per speaker, assuming you are crossing them over by 40Hz. So part of power handling is up to you and your room.

• ajc9988

April 9, 2022 at 2:38 pm

@123toid – since you built these which use pro parts and get very loud, have you ever looked at a huge sub to pair with it like this: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-HTS545HE-4-21-Kraken-High-Excursion-Subwoofer-with-5-Voice-Coil-4-Ohm-295-054

• 123toid

Administrator
      April 9, 2022 at 2:45 pm

@ajc9988 I have thought about it. And maybe someday. But honestly, that is probably way bigger than I would ever need. I have one mx15-22 and with the four 12’s it isn’t necessary to have anything else. Don’t get me wrong, you still want subwoofers with the Audience 212, but since these play full-range (in my room) they help pressurize the room. Which adding that SD, even not at high volumes (compared to the subwoofer) is an incredible increase. I have enjoyed it.

• ajc9988

April 9, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Fair enough. This is a sub I have looked at to combine in a PA scenario with the 15″ B&C I’d like to get at some point.

Unfortunately, you can get loud or you can get low, but rarely both. The F3 I have for the design on the Kraken is 40.4Hz with a 3 cu. ft. enclosure (small considering the size of the driver), a 24″ slot port with 2.25″ height, split down the middle (so two ports in reality and what I entered into WinISD) giving 24.45″ length on the port. First port res. of 276.72Hz. The filters I put on are LR at 31.2Hz Highpass and Lowpass LR at 80Hz. That would get you a peak of 123dB@2000W.

• 123toid

Administrator
      April 10, 2022 at 12:11 am

I think if I were to build something that big, I would end up doing a sealed. Then EQing what my room didn’t give me. Or do a linkwitz transform and end up with an anechoic response like this.

• schurter

April 9, 2022 at 2:54 pm

I have 5 devastators to help out mine 😁

• schurter

April 19, 2022 at 6:53 pm
    • 123toid

Administrator
      April 22, 2022 at 1:51 am

Thank you for showing me this. I think they are both good speakers and tuned similarly. I am friends with Ryan who designed the 1099’s. He is very talented and I really enjoy his work. In fact, I am still trying to get him back to designing, so we can come up with a fun design for people. But I am not sure that will happen any time soon (maybe never). But I do love collaborating with people.

Page 5 of 5